• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Stuck in a tree! (Happy Update #21)

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
So happy for you!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Fantastic update!!! :yah:

Nnbal

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal
I am really happy. Congratulations :heart:

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So glad you got him back home safe.

MacawMom87

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Brandy
OMG your face! You are making me cry!!

Get your sweetie harness trained. I trained parrots for a living and I don't free fly a single one.
He does have a harness and anytime we go outside he has one. This was just a freak accident. He was on his stand in the kitchen and my son opened the back door and he just went for it. We had a long family talk about not opening doors when he is not in his cage. My kiddos were devastated and I thought he was gone, so I think the lesson definitely sunk in!

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:cheer: So happy! And so glad I saw this after all was well!!

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Awesome, did he step right up on you? I lost Lurch like that and climbed 30 feet up into the second tree he was in. When he saw me he put his head down for a scritch and we touched. Just then a crow flew close and he spooked to a much higher tree:crycry2: Anyway after a few days he was spooked out of the tree and haven't seen him since.
If I could have gotten him to step up he'd still be with me or if he had learned to fly down.
I'm so happy for you that you got him back.

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Oh gosh, I'm so relieved for you! That picture made me tear up. :heart: Good work, that's incredible.

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
This just made so happy and relieved. It is so great you got him back!!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
What an awesome first post to read this morning for me!

I’m so happy to see you back together. That picture of you is intense in the best way possible :heart:

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
So happy for you :D

jermajay

Meeting neighbors
Just for anyone in the future. My lorikeet flew away into a very tall tree. We got her down by using a t-post sort of thing - we just put it up to her (my brother had to climb half way up the tree even to do that) and she stepped onto it. So if they can't fly down and you can't climb, that's a good option. Really easy to make, just drill a perch onto the end of a long stick, could be a broom even. I use it to get them down from ceiling fans as well.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Just for anyone in the future. My lorikeet flew away into a very tall tree. We got her down by using a t-post sort of thing - we just put it up to her (my brother had to climb half way up the tree even to do that) and she stepped onto it. So if they can't fly down and you can't climb, that's a good option. Really easy to make, just drill a perch onto the end of a long stick, could be a broom even. I use it to get them down from ceiling fans as well.
Good idea especially if it is a little tree. I can not imagine trying to balance one of those high up in a tree with a macaw on it but for a small tree it is the ideal way to get them down.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I can not imagine trying to balance one of those high up in a tree with a macaw on it but for a small tree it is the ideal way to get them down.
I calculated a 30ft pole, with a 2lb macaw on the end, the fulcrum (one hand) at 3ft from the other end (the other hand) and the force required to balance the load would be 18lbs, but, that doesn't include the weight of the pole itself which might be 20lbs on its own according a quick search of suitable materials (1" wood dowel, thin walled aluminum tuning, etc), and as you can see any weight to the left of the fulcrum has a significant multiplier effect which I'm too tired to calculate at this hour.

Balanced directly overhead, you'd only be lifting a perfectly balanced pole and bird, so that part is easy... lowering them to the ground with control would be the tricky bit.

macaw stick fulcrum.png

Awkward for sure, but it doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility for a strong individual and a patient bird that isn't fidgeting around to make the load ultra unstable (provided you can find a suitably long pole).

(@jermajay please don't take this the wrong way, this is my odd humour and curiosity, not mockery, I like the idea too)​

jermajay

Meeting neighbors
Ye
I calculated a 30ft pole, with a 2lb macaw on the end, the fulcrum (one hand) at 3ft from the other end (the other hand) and the force required to balance the load would be 18lbs, but, that doesn't include the weight of the pole itself which might be 20lbs on its own according a quick search of suitable materials (1" wood dowel, thin walled aluminum tuning, etc), and as you can see any weight to the left of the fulcrum has a significant multiplier effect which I'm too tired to calculate at this hour.

Balanced directly overhead, you'd only be lifting a perfectly balanced pole and bird, so that part is easy... lowering them to the ground with control would be the tricky bit.

Awkward for sure, but it doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility for a strong individual and a patient bird that isn't fidgeting around to make the load ultra unstable (provided you can find a suitably long pole).

(@jermajay please don't take this the wrong way, this is my odd humour and curiosity, not mockery, I like the idea too)​
Yes, and you can also drag the pole along the branch, so you're not flailing it around and scaring them.
(and no offense taken of course ^^)