• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Strong Odor on Planet Pleasures Bird Toys

MC_Hahn's

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Marie C.
Last weekend, I ordered two planet pleasures bird toys from Chewy.com. I have purchased from them before on Amazon and been pleased with the toys. However, these two toys that I recently received yesterday harbor a strong odor. There is no mold that I can see, or any other issues. I'm not sure if I should put them into the budgies' cages, on the playstand, or elsewhere. The toy from Amazon that I got back in August didn't have any smell. The two ladders from Prevue Pet Products didn't smell at all, and they were in the same box as the planet pleasures toys but in plastic bags. Just not sure what to do or if these are safe for my birds. I'm not sure if it's the smell of dyes or something else...? I can't quite describe the smell, but it's leafy and smells strongly of beets. The strength of the smell hasn't weakened at all yet.

I'm getting some more toys of different brands for the budgies today from the store, so this isn't urgent, but any help would be gladly appreciated.

Aves

Rollerblading along the road
If it doesn't smell of anything dangerous it should be fine. You could air it out if you wanted.

MC_Hahn's

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Marie C.
That's what I've been trying to do. I just worry about the smell when I cover the birds' cages.

Pistachio

Meeting neighbors
If they smell like beets, is it possible they used beets juice to dye the toys?

Aves

Planet Pleasures Parrot Toys are bird safe and 100% non-toxic. We care about your bird’s well being and as bird owners ourselves, we know how important the health of your feathered friend is to you. That’s why we only make and sell 100% eco-friendly and all-natural parrot toys. We never use cotton, heavy metals, plastic or other harmful materials. Why go for conventional plastic toys that might endanger your bird’s playtime safety when you can be rest assured in Planet Pleasures 100% all-natural parrot toys.

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
I order a lot of Planet Pleasures toys, both from Chewy and directly from Planet Pleasures. I've never noticed an odor myself, but I've never had any reason to doubt their safety. Piper will go through one of the medium spiked pinatas in a day, so I go through a lot of them... [tearfully waves goodbye to money]

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I would reach out to Planet Pleasure and ask their opinion. Natural materials have their own pitfalls - moisture being perhaps the biggest one.