• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Stress

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
I've had Howard over 3 years and Billy one year both BFA. We adopted Koko a BG on the 30th of November. Since than Howard and Billy have had a GI infection. They were treated with baytril and metacam. Koko was tested no infection. They got over it and than Howard got it again. They are on the same food same routine the only thing that's changed is getting Koko. Our avian vet said stress can do that. We go back next week. Has anyone else had this happen? I feel sick if I caused this to them.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
@Hankmacaw @Macawnutz
I've had Howard over 3 years and Billy one year both BFA. We adopted Koko a BG on the 30th of November. Since than Howard and Billy have had a GI infection. They were treated with baytril and metacam. Koko was tested no infection. They got over it and than Howard got it again. They are on the same food same routine the only thing that's changed is getting Koko. Our avian vet said stress can do that. We go back next week. Has anyone else had this happen? I feel sick if I caused this to them.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Did you quarantine Koko after you got him? Any new bird brought into the house should be quarantined a minimum of 30 days - if they are in poor condition or have a questionable past much longer.

Did your vet do grams stains and/0r a culture and sensitivity? Not all Bacteria are sensitive to all antibiotics and you can give them an ineffective antibiotic by the 50 gal barrel and it won't do any good.

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
She was in quarantine until December 24. Our vet did a gram stain the last 2 times.

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
Hopefully we get good news next week. I'm very diligent about cleaning, good food and vet checks after losing my best friend Nikki to aspers I freak out when something like this happens.

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
Has anyone had this happen from stress?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Has anyone had this happen from stress?
Stress can and will cause any underlying condition/issue to surface. Not just in birds but in all animals including humans. That is a well known fact. Stress can kill you if it's bad enough.

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
That's why I'm "stressed " about Howard! We got Koko from Sherri that was on the forum but had to re-home when she was put on a transplant list and all of koko's bloodwork was good. Howard has never had anything like this and I didn't realize stress could be the trigger.

Anita1250

Walking the driveway
Stress becomes the trigger when there is a minor infection that the bird is fighting off. When they become stressed, the immune system loses some of its strength and allows the minor infection to take hold and become major. However, in a healthy bird this should not cause recurring issues. Once the bacteria is killed by the antibiotics, it should be gone. There might be a source of bacteria somewhere that may be re-infecting the birds. Think about it hard and see if you can't come up with something that may be acting as a reservoir for the bacteria. This way you can eradicate it in their environment and hopefully cure the problem.

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
@Anita1250 Thank you I've been thinking about what's changed or what I've missed and I come up blank. I'm keeping track of his weight and he's remained the same so at least that's a plus. He's eating the same amount and is sleeping the same amount of time. I'll keep looking for anything that might be the problem. It's so frustrating.

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
@Lincee thank you. In all my years of having parrots in my life I must have missed something and feel terrible about it but the only thing I can do now is find the problem and fix it.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
One step at a time.

Write down a diary of what you do in a day for the birds. Review it during day.

Writing helps me remember.

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
@Clueless very good idea. The one thing I did that I have never done before with my parrots is shorten the quarantine period. After we got Koko screened and all came back good I shorten the quarantine period from my usual 30-60 day to 24 days. The thing is I know better than that..

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@Clueless very good idea. The one thing I did that I have never done before with my parrots is shorten the quarantine period. After we got Koko screened and all came back good I shorten the quarantine period from my usual 30-60 day to 24 days. The thing is I know better than that..
Don't beat yourself up. (I'm the best at that).

We do the best we can with what we know.

You love them, that's what counts.

Do the diary....... maybe you missed cleaning a grate once and he sticks his foot in his mouth!

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Maybe F10, I believe it's available again for the cages & pitch porous toys & wash metals & plastics in mild bleach.

@finchly can tell you the combo water to bleach that she uses & maybe how she ventilate's