• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Stress bars?

JulietRose

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Juliet
So, I got my Quaker a bit over a week ago, he’s (we don’t know the actual gender yet) about 5-6 months old. I noticed he has a lot of feathers that look similar to stress bars, and I was wondering if this is because he’s young or for another reason? He’s on a diet of zupreem natural pellets and some roudybush pellets, fruits (he loves apple!) and some vegetables though he is a bit hesitant about them. I can show more photos if needed, thanks!

image.jpg
image.jpg

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It could be stress bars (which happening during feather development) or bronzing (which happens afterwards and is a result of the ridges on the feather being affected, which disrupts the refraction of light that lets us see their color)

Regardless, it is perfectly normal for babies to have these and they should molt out as time goes on, provided they have a healthy diet and aren't "Stressed", by anything that might take energy away from creating feathers - too cold, too hot, illness, etc

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
congratulations on your quakes!
To me this looks the start of over preening . Which quakers are very prone to. And could have started as reaction to being clipped, or if was in a pet store. As often quakers experience more stress in pet stores.

The good news , in your happy home environment, with lots to do, chew, and out of cage time, will likely stop. Because this is not been going on long. Offers baths in big shallow bowl or serving dish. Splashing around with hand often has them jump right in. Baths help some birds learn to preen in more normal manner. Never discourage preening as they do lots as normal.

A closer picture of feathers edges should show better if she has kinda chomped on them.

You won't see those perfect feathers till they molt out these.

My pet store baby was over preening, and had even started plucking her shoulders when I got her. Her feathers edges were a little black and chomped. This all turned right around as soon as she was home with me. And her feathers have stayed perfect for our 2 years so far. But she is still prone to a little nervous over preening with any household upset. And I think with her personality she could easily turn back to plucking if things ever went south for her.

Provide lots of easy to pick apart or destroy toys. Willow balls stuffed with shredded crinkled paper, Chinese finger traps, yucca chips, bird bagel, those rolls of csge weavers you can weave in cage bars or cut to 8 inch strips and tie to cage bars or a perch, chewable perches, or those perches they sell that are stuffed with shredded stuff.

Be careful with rope and rope toys. At least for mine she can't have any in her cage as she she picks them apart and really chews them up , unsafe as those threads can build up in crop cause a crop impaction. She is fine with rope perches while out of the cage. And nin of my other quakers bother their rope perches in cage. So you can try and observe, if she does remove them. And just attach on outside of cage.

Provide a upper corner roost, with something to provide a visual retreat. I provide the "safer, not perfect" non fuzzy sleep tents for all of mine. As quakers live year round in community nest in the wild. It has not induced hormones in mine, or eggs. I have 3 girls , and had one male. My pet store girl did lay an egg at 6 month old shortly after getting her from a perch. And this spring one in her food bowl. While my other 2 girls never have in 5 years or so that I've had them.
You do not have to provide a tent at all. I do, and I think helps reduce stress.

My re home quaker came to me never having one. But I was informed she had terrible night frights. And after her first night home she had a terrible one. So the next day I gave her a tent and never again has she had one in 5 years.

My rescue was 10-20 years old when I got her and had always had one a day still does.

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
I fully agree with what the others said, but bronzing can also sometimes be caused by lack of sunlight. Sunlight doesnt get thru glass so might be worth taking the cage outside, fully secured, and monitor them ofc incase of stress etc. But yes I agree with the others

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I fully agree with what the others said, but bronzing can also sometimes be caused by lack of sunlight. Sunlight doesnt get thru glass so might be worth taking the cage outside, fully secured, and monitor them ofc incase of stress etc. But yes I agree with the others
I'm curious on this as I've never heard of it. Do you have a source?

JulietRose

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Juliet
To me this looks the start of over preening . Which quakers are very prone to. And could have started as reaction to being clipped, or if was in a pet store. As often quakers experience more stress in pet stores.

The good news , in your happy home environment, with lots to do, chew, and out of cage time, will likely stop. Because this is not been going on long. Offers baths in big shallow bowl or serving dish. Splashing around with hand often has them jump right in. Baths help some birds learn to preen in more normal manner. Never discourage preening as they do lots as normal.

A closer picture of feathers edges should show better if she has kinda chomped on them.

My pet store baby was over preening, and had even started plucking her shoulders when I got her. Her feathers edges were a little black and chomped. This all turned right around as soon as she was home with me. And her feathers have stayed perfect for our 2 years so far. But she is still prone to a little nervous over preening with any household upset. And I think with her personality she could easily turn back to plucking if things ever went south for her.

Provide lots of easy to pick apart or destroy toys. Willow balls stuffed with shredded crinkled paper, Chinese finger traps, yucca chips, bird bagel, those rolls of csge weavers you can weave in cage bars or cut to 8 inch strips and tie to cage bars or a perch, chewable perches, or those perches they sell that are stuffed with shredded stuff.

Be careful with rope and rope toys. At least for mine she can't have any in her cage as she she picks them apart and really chews them up , unsafe as those threads can build up in crop cause a crop impaction. She is fine with rope perches while out of the cage. And nin of my other quakers bother their rope perches in cage. So you can try and observe, if she does remove them. And just attach on outside of cage.

Provide a upper corner roost, with something to provide a visual retreat. I provide the "safer, not perfect" non fuzzy sleep tents for all of mine. As quakers live year round in community nest in the wild. It has not induced hormones in mine, or eggs. I have 3 girls , and had one male. My pet store girl did lay an egg at 6 month old shortly after getting her from a perch. And this spring one in her food bowl. While my other 2 girls never have in 5 years or so that I've had them.
You do not have to provide a tent at all. I do, and I think helps reduce stress.

My re home quaker came to me never having one. But I was informed she had terrible night frights. And after her first night home she had a terrible one. So the next day I gave her a tent and never again has she had one in 5 years.

My rescue was 10-20 years old when I got her and had always had one a day still does.
Thanks! I got him from a breeder not a pet store and he’s never been clipped! He has plenty of toys though I’ll probably make him some more just in case. The idea of some sort of tent is a good idea, I’ll probably try that!
(here’s another picture of his feathers, sorry if it’s bad, he didn’t want his picture taken lol)

image.jpg
image.jpg

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Yay from breeder. Yay feathers just grown in in baby yet! Still very young then. Did breeder give age in weeks? A hatch certificate? If not full tsil.festger and flight feathers much younger than 5 months. More like 3 months or youngest

Can't tell in photos.

Toys are great, not saying you didn't provide. Just offering types that are very helpful.

I got my first baby from a breder. He didn't have any stress bars or dark edges to feathers.

Did this breeder have several pairs? Did she leave clutches together or separate? Did the weaning cage have toys and low perches?

Anyway. Things are likely going to be just fine. This is minor. Should disappear with molt.

How's your baby settling in? Did I miss the name?

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
I'm curious on this as I've never heard of it. Do you have a source?
I'm going to delete that post as the source i'd seen wa sin 2009 and porbably not reliable.
I originally thought it said 2019, sorry for the mistake!

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Still think from over preening . But babies go through a lot with weaning and learning to care for feathers.
Looking very happy in first photo! Nice that trusts you and steps as well! So breeder spent time socializing.

And a beautiful quaker!!!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'm going to delete that post as the source i'd seen wa sin 2009 and porbably not reliable.
I originally thought it said 2019, sorry for the mistake!
That's alright! The information is floating about somewhere then, and so its good to have a discussion anyways! :heart: I didn't mean to make it sound like I was calling you out; I truly love learning new things so I was keen to see what I had missed :lol:

JulietRose

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Juliet
Yay from breeder. Yay feathers just grown in in baby yet! Still very young then. Did breeder give age in weeks? A hatch certificate? If not full tsil.festger and flight feathers much younger than 5 months. More like 3 months or youngest

Can't tell in photos.

Toys are great, not saying you didn't provide. Just offering types that are very helpful.

I got my first baby from a breder. He didn't have any stress bars or dark edges to feathers.

Did this breeder have several pairs? Did she leave clutches together or separate? Did the weaning cage have toys and low perches?

Anyway. Things are likely going to be just fine. This is minor. Should disappear with molt.

How's your baby settling in? Did I miss the name?
The “breeder” actually didn’t breed the birds, he bought them, hand raised them, then sold them! A nice bird store in my city does that also. The guy didn’t give the age in weeks but in months (He has a band on his foot saying year of birth). This was my first time buying a bird from an individual, I’ve bought all my previous birds from bird stores.

Anyways my birds name is Milo! And he’s doing great, he is pretty comfortable sitting with me already! He is a bit of a biter but only when he’s on/in his cage, but I was prepared for that. He’s even letting my touch his head! I’ve only ever kept budgies that have never been a fan of being petted lol.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Great pics of a beautiful lil one :)

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol

Hi can you show a pic of the non fuzzy tent? I have one yet to be used, it’s for the colder days, but just wondering what yours looks like

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
This is style im going to try next
I've used these lowe fuzz ones. Still get chewed and replaced

This im using currently have canvas or fabric on outside, lower fuzz inside ( but id still prefer none). I had all canvas ones but the poor girls slipped and slid around lol didn't like them. Had all sea grass but rough and not comfy. All eventually get chew on and replaced
20221108_162308.jpg

Last edited:

JulietRose

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Juliet
This is style im going to try next
I've used these lowe fuzz ones. Still get chewed and replaced

This im using currently have canvas or fabric on outside, lower fuzz inside ( but id still prefer none). I had all canvas ones but the poor girls slipped and slid around lol didn't like them. Had all sea grass but rough and not comfy. All eventually get chew on and replaced
View attachment 416639
Instead of a tent I thought maybe try a hammock, like one of the ones made of sea grass? That way you don’t have to deal with making sure they don’t ingest fabric/fuzz, or any other problems that might come from those fabric tents!

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I've ordered this as looks less slippery than the all canvas ones I tried. My Phoebe my chewer , chewed her one like I shared in pictures. She has sea grass one for now. But she doesn't like it half the time sleeps on perch next to it.
POPETPOP Bird Bed - Bird Snuggle Hut-Pet . From Amazon is all fabric

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Instead of a tent I thought maybe try a hammock, like one of the ones made of sea grass? That way you don’t have to deal with making sure they don’t ingest fabric/fuzz, or any other problems that might come from those fabric tents!
Mine don't like the sea grass cargo net ones . And if you rest hand on has sharp pressure points. But I see a woven style that might work better

JulietRose

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Juliet
Mine don't like the sea grass cargo net ones . And if you rest hand on has sharp pressure points. But I see a woven style that might work better
Oh well, but a woven one seems like it would work well!

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
You want to test pull, if you can easily pull fuzz its not good. Like those really fluffy fuzzy ones. And while many are aware of those dangers. Any soft ropes or fabric threads try can pull out are a risk.
I'm trying to limit risk.
But often it it is rope perches threads that are found in crop impaction. So always watch and replace. If they are determined chewers of these then go to all natural perches.

There is this style that I've thought about. Minius if that is plastic orange something lining it. Looks like pvc pipe thing. But I've seen cardboard tube one as well. Think I like those better. Don't use a nest box or anything that is dark and nest like . The open ended type are less likely to make hormonal. Individuals vary so if causes hormonal behavior don't offer a sleep tent.

Last edited: