• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Stress bars worried it pbfd?

Amillio

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
Please any advice I’m freaking out and yes a vet is being contacted. My grey who is 1.5 has major stress bars on his wing feathers coming in and a not so bad stress bars on his new tail feathers. I’m terrified it’s pbfd. However he shows no other signs. His behavior and poop is same as always. All his other feathers appear normal too. This is the first time his wings have came in since being clipped. I wanted to let him have his wings. The shop I got him from clipped him as a baby before I brought him home.

Attachments

Amillio

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
Vet is scheduled for next week they said they have not seen a case of pbfd I. Several years but I’m still worried.

Tvdv96

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tessa
Great that you have an vet appointment, it's always great to do a health check. :)
Ofcourse I'm not a vet, but seeing your description I wouldn't be to worried (about pbfd), seeing his behaviour, poops and other feathers are normal. I also don't see very worrying things on the pictures you shared!

What is his diet like? Maybe we can give you some more advice with a bit more information.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes diet is one of the major contributors.

Also are those still his baby feathers at all? Because stress bars on babies are super common. Stress bars only occur when the feather doesn't get enough nutrients during that stage of development. This can be from missing nutrients in the diet, or from a stressor in the environment that diverted energy towards something else and away from feather production.

Amillio

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
He is a 1.5 years old this is his first big molt. He eats about 85 percent pellets and I offer him fresh fruit and veggies too. He eats the zupreem naturals. The stress bars are on his new flight feathers coming in. In the first pic you can see the feathers I’m concerned about. I. The other two pics you can see how he looks overall.

Amillio

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
Update. Vet said all is well. Unfortunately the stress of being at the vet and being toweled cause him to break two blood feathers which she then had to pull out. They were happy with my greys diet and the appearance of all his other feathers.

Ashmac

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
I have a very similar thing happening right now with a Meyers parrot - same age and clipped wings growing in.

Only feathers that have stress barring for him are the ones on the clipped wing.

Been seeing an avian vet through the process - she said it could be a combination of the stress of rehoming, and a badly clipped area growing back. No concerns about ongoing health issues though.

Amillio

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
Yep that is what mine appears to be too. He had a bad and stressful wing clip prior to coming home with me. My vet said the stress of old environment and that clipping plus frost major molt is probably what caused it. Everything else is great. I had that my guy broke two of his new feathers while there but I’m glad to have peace of mind and know it’s not pbfd. His heart mouth and weight were all good as well. He’s 15 ounces. The vet loved his little personality. He kept telling her want to go back lol.

Ashmac

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
Our situations sound so similar - hate watching the little dude struggle.
Two new feathers coming through have come out :(

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Glad you had it checked & all is well. :bounce6: