• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Strategies on Allowing Flight Feathers to Grow In Safely

papaya13

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I'm preparing to adopt a 22YO CAG who has been clipped for at least 10 years. His current owner says he still shows some motivation to fly, and that he'll need another wing clip in about a month. He's encouraged me to clip for the bird's safety, but I'm strongly opposed to the practice and hope to have him fully flighted at some point in the future.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience letting an African Grey grow flight feathers after being clipped for an extended period.

I definitely don't want to traumatize him by letting him crash-land. I'm also aware that older birds who have been clipped for extended periods of time, especially heavy-bodied species such as greys, are considered "poor candidates" for flight. I still want to try- is it selfish of me to want to see him in the air?

Any suggestions for keeping him safe during this process?

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
(Take my advice with a grain of salt, i've only ever dealt with my own previously clipped bird)
Working on recall training might be helpful, as it might start to get him comfortable with landing. Try to keep an eye on him when on high surfaces, too. Best of luck :)

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
If he still shows motivation to fly thats all you need. Let them grow back and try. It's so much healthier for them.

If he has flown before he will take right back, if he needs practice there will be a few crash lands but they get it pretty quick when they are trying.

Coco's Dad

Sitting on the front steps
My bird came to me with one wing clipped and I’m not sure if he knew how to fly or not. Our relationship started with staring at each other, then climbing down off of the cage to roam, then flapping his wings like a baby bird while was perched on top of the cage. He obviously wanted to be with me so we started with short hops off the cage which I also think helped establish trust between us. Sometimes I would perch him on my finger and do rapid drops from level, which would cause him to flap harder and exercise his muscles and I would make a game of it and encourage him to do it more. Eventually I would move further and further away from the cage. This took several months, as we had to wait for new feathers on the one side to make it happen. Now I can’t escape anywhere without him following me…are you sure you want to do this .

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Usually as long as the clip isn't absolutely terrible, they should still be able to flutter down safely to the ground.

Ripley is a Jardine's, another heavier bodied bird, and he was kept in a too small cage for a lot of his life, so he can't fly very well. He occasionally falls due to losing grip also. I don't really do anything different for him if I'm honest!

papaya13

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Now I can’t escape anywhere without him following me…are you sure you want to do this .
:hilarious:

If I suddenly grew a new set of feet after having mine cut off, I'd for sure be running everywhere!