• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Strange Symptoms...Should I Worry?

FidFlock

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nikki
I had Turk out today and noticed some strange symptoms. I would have noticed these earlier if they had occurred earlier, so I know these are new.

I took him out earlier and he played with a plastic toy. I had him try a new vegetable, spinach. He played with a napkin. Then he played with a wooden toy.

Shortly after, he sneezed. I thought he was irritating himself because he was scratching himself around the nostrils. Then I noticed he was actually putting his toenail in his nostril. Then he would stretch his neck out and open his beak. He was leaving his beak open, but I don't think he was mouth breathing.

He's eating now, and he looks fine, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I've never noticed anything strange like this or a tail bob before. Just my normal, loud, sassy conure :confused: UPDATE: He is now playing with another toy and, again, acting perfectly normal.

He is due for a baby check-up (which we will do sometime this week), but was this a false alarm or something serious?

I might put some ACV (apple cider vinegar) in his water in case he is a little congested.

Maybe he ingested a small piece of his toy, or maybe he got some dust in his nostril. :confused:

Can someone please shed some light on my situation?

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
All of mine have done that on occasion, I don't think it's something to be alarmed about

FidFlock

Real Name
Nikki
He is acting very much normal and active now...but should I still be concerned? I don't want anything to happen to my baby...

However, I am a worry wart, I'll admit. He's eating and drinking fine now.

I still would feel better with an outside opinion...however...:confused:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
It is always good to touch base with your avian vet when you are concerned about something. That being said Ruby does that occasionally to just clear her nares of dust or water droplets after a shower. Sometimes it even looks like her nail is stuck in there. :rolleyes: It is an occasional thing so if I saw Ruby do this repeatedly over a 24 hr period I would probably first give her a shower if she was due in case it was dust. However, there should never be any discharge. That would indicate something I would take her to the vet for.

Last edited:

FidFlock

Real Name
Nikki
I just weighed him and he is 145 grams. So he's pretty normal all around. He looks fine, no discharge, and he is generally normal.

He did try to take a bath earlier, so he may be due for a shower.

*sigh* Guess this means I'm officially a worrywart :rolleyes: Sorry for wasting everyone's time.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Not a worry wart. •If you are not sure it is always best to ask and glad you did. •You never know when it really might be something. •Yep, birds pick their noses. •If you are using ac and have a dry environment a bath is definitely in order.

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Sounds normal to me. Sometimes birds will do that to clean/clear out their nares. As Marie said, dust, dirt, water, seed hulls can get up in there. Watch for drainage or discharge. If he is acting normal; eating, playing, pooping, bathing, vocalizing, etc I wouldn't worry. Just keep an eye on him. And of course, if you are worried, a quick trip to the vet just would do much for your peace of mind.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie

*sigh* Guess this means I'm officially a worrywart :rolleyes: Sorry for wasting everyone's time.
You did what all good parronts do, you watch, your question, you learn and hopefully don't have to make too many trips to the vet. :)

Sapphire Moon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
This is the first place I would go to if I have a question. We do not have any Avian Vets here so I can probably get more reliable information right here. Now if there were something terrible, I would travel to the closest Avian Vet.

tozie12

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
beth
as everyone else has said, mine do that on occasion. my ollie does that stretch yawn looking move. sometimes its just what it looks like, a yawn. sometimes they're popping their ears by doing this. and sometimes its an indication of an ear infection coming on.... and sometimes, like in ollie's case, its 'learned behavior'. he scared me a couple times to death thinking he had an ear infection coming on cause he kept doing it over and over. then just as suddenly quit. i believe the lil devil was messing with me. :p

there's nothing at all wrong with being observant. they hide their illness so very well. so we parronts have to be observant to the smallest detail! and its NEVER a waste of time to ask a question. ;)

FidFlock

Real Name
Nikki
The little snot wouldn't bathe on his own, so I personally wiped him down with a wet washcloth and dried him :rolleyes:

However, he hasn't showed any symptoms since :D so I think he just got a little dusty. :o:

Thanks for the help, everyone! :hug8: