• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Strange stools after egg laying

katm89

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kat
Hi everyone! My conure laid two eggs last week and now I’m noticing some extra liquidy poops. It seems like the white, Uric acid, component has increased as well. I’ve read stools can be different after egg laying as in bigger and potentially have a smell. I didn’t notice this with Gumbo’s poo. They just seem to have more urine.
Should I be concerned? My mind goes to kidney disease, but I’m not sure if I should be jumping to that? I’ve attached a photo of the poo.

Attachments

katm89

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kat
Hello all! My Nanday/Jenday conure laid two eggs last week. This week I’m noticing different stool and am not sure if this is related to the egg laying. It seems the urine component of the poop has increased. I’m noticing wetter stools with more white, Uric acid. I’ve read stools can be bigger and possibly have an odor after birds lay eggs, but this is different. Has anyone else seen this before? I’ll be making a vet appointment. I’m just nervous about kidney disease, but am not sure if I should be thinking that just from these stools?
Thanks for the help!

Attachments

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump.

Dozi

Moving in
Real Name
Emily
It could be possible that, as a result of laying eggs, the bird has increased her water intake- making her poop more watery. This can definitely be a sign of illness (both watery poop and excessive water drinking) so I would get it checked out- one of my cockatiels has pooped like this since they were little though just because they like to drink a lot of water. After several vet visits, it was concluded that she was perfectly healthy and just happened to really like water. If you feed your birds chop, then she may have increased the amount of veggies that she's eating in order to lay healthier eggs/to regain her strength- this could also affect how watery the poop is. It's difficult with birds because a google search, like with humans, will immediately tell you that your bird is dying- although it's better to be safe than sorry. I'd definitely get it checked out! The watery poop could also be as a result of a lack of certain vitamins after egg laying.

Last edited:

Dozi

Moving in
Real Name
Emily
When it comes to bird droppings, things are fairly uncertain. Whilst watery droppings can definitely be a sign of illness, it all depends on their diet and water intake. For example, a high fruit-and-veg diet can cause a bird's poop to be quite watery. A bird that drinks more water will also have more watery poop. For example, one of my cockatiels has pooped this way since they were 2 months old (being 2 years old now). After a few visits to the vet, it was concluded that she was entirely healthy and just happened to really like water. An increased water intake, however, can also be a sign of illness. The watery poop could also be as a result of a lack of certain vitamins after egg laying.

I'd keep an eye on how much your bird is drinking and how many veggies they are eating. They may have increased their intake of one or both of these things due to having just recently laid an egg (and potentially expecting more!). It's difficult with birds because a google search, like with humans, will immediately tell you that your bird is dying- although it's definitely better to be safe than sorry. I'd get it checked out!

* Revised message

katm89

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kat
Thanks @Dozi
Since visiting the vet her stools have normalized. The vet and I both feel the watery stools must have been related to the egg laying. Gumbo has always had pretty solid stools as she eats Harrison’s so the change had me pretty worried. We ran some bloodwork just to be safe, but looks like Gumbo is getting back to her norm. Fingers crossed!