• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Strange lovie behavior after vacation 2 months

jadesha

Moving in
Real Name
Jade
Hey guys! So I'm now back from my nearly 2 month vacation, and reunited with my lovie. However, when I got back and took him out of his cage, I noticed some strange behavior that he's never done before. First of all, he's struggling to fly long distances, I think this might be because the friend I left him with always interacted with him but barely took him out. Secondly, he keeps bopping his head like he's choking or something and spits out small hard-ish balls after. Could someone tell me what this is? I'm really worried :( I have a video of him doing it as well, but I'm not entirely sure how to attach it. Thank you so much ❤

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
he's struggling to fly long distances, I think this might be because the friend I left him with always interacted with him but barely took him out.
That sounds about right.
Allow out of cage time but also time to rest. If you feel the flight worsens, head to the vet.

he keeps bopping his head like he's choking or something and spits out small hard-ish balls after.
Sounds like regurgitation. Those balls are likely millet seeds.

I have a video of him doing it as well, but I'm not entirely sure how to attach it.
Here is the guide;

jadesha

Moving in
Real Name
Jade
That sounds about right.
Allow out of cage time but also time to rest. If you feel the flight worsens, head to the vet.

Sounds like regurgitation. Those balls are likely millet seeds.

Here is the guide;
Thank you so much for the reply! So I take it it's most likely normal? Should I take him to the vet? It's going to be hard since COVID cases are rising here but I'll go if I really have to. Will also try to upload the video.

Oscarbird

Sprinting down the street
Regurgitation is a sign that your bird is trying to feed you and has chosen you as its "mate." When Oscar starts to do this I set him down on his play gym and ignore him as it's best not to encourage hormonal behaviors.