• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Strange feather fluffing in sun conure [Pictures]

FidFlock

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nikki
Sorry to return on this note but this is very weird.

Yesterday, Simba (2 yr old sun conure) was completely normal. But today, he's sleeping a little more than usual and fluffing his feathers on his breast area. Usually he's not fluffy unless he's out with us, and he's never this fluffy around his breast area. Upon touching it, it doesn't feel like a mass, just feathers, but it's strange because I haven't seen so many feathers until today.

Here are my possible explanations:
1) There was a little mistake today and he didn't end up getting fed for longer than he is accustomed to. It's embarrassing to admit, but we all make mistakes. One time when he was younger the same 'oops' happened and a similar episode occurred. But he doesn't seem interested in eating, although he did eat a little bit and looked better afterwards.
2) I feel a little colder than usual, and Simba is by a window. It's 70 in our house, but it might be colder by the window.
Do you guys have any explanation for the weird breast feathers? They look stranger to me. Is this a sign of him being overweight? I don't weight him as regularly I should, but over the course of two years he's stayed at 120-125, him being 121 grams now.

He sounds normal and was acting normal until about an hour ago, so I don't know what the deal is. Do you guys have any ideas?

This is what he looks like:
IMG_6357.JPG

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
He looks really full, if your concerned a yeast or bacteria check wouldn't hurt. Hows his poop? Hopefully its nothing.

FidFlock

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nikki
@Birdbabe That's what I was thinking, although after he snuggled with me for awhile he seemed just like normal and dramatically less full than in the picture. Once I put him back in his cage he ate some strawberries and grapes and drank some water. I'm going to monitor his weight every day and if things don't improve we'll take him to the vet. I'm leaving Tuesday for Florida but my dad will be taking care of them and if need be he can take him in. My only concern is that I won't be there if he does :p
I think I may have overreacted a tad bit because we did throw off his routine today, so we'll just have to see how tomorrow goes.

EDIT: His poop looks entirely normal, same color and everything (although it may have been a bit smaller than usual), which was a relief for me.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Probably just munched a lot then!:hug8: