• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Strange Cockatiel behaviors

Best Bird

Walking the driveway
So I have had my beautiful baby Blush, a female cockatiel for I think about 2 months now and all the time I’ve know her she was kinda quite. Whenever I left the room she always kinda gets worried and let’s out several chirps till I assure her I’ll be back, I always say: it’s ok it’s ok, it’s alright I’ll be back. This usually calms her down and she stops chirping and then when I come back she always greets me with a loud happy sounding chirp! I bought her from a pet store and they had already taught her how to step up so that’s never been an issue. All the time I’ve had her she’s been afraid of everyone but me. She would even go to the length of biting anyone who tried to get close or even walked by her. She didn’t like anyone touching her but me. She lets me give her scratches on the head and she always gives me plenty of kisses. Her favorite thing to do is to put her head by either my lips and nose and keep it their sometimes for minutes. 6D1F198A-7C7C-4AE3-9149-F9BCDF9192D9.jpeg 50096ADA-A81B-44AC-B4B3-4D711A36963D.jpeg So I thought maybe she wants to cuddle or be scratched? So I let her stay by my nose usually right under it and I’d scratch her head and she’d move her head and I’d scratch different places. She also shakes her head a lot like there is something on it when she’s by my face. Is this normal? Sometimes she gets pretty insistent that she has to have her head by my nose and sometimes even tries to pick my nose with her beak...is this a form of preening? She really has been trying her best to do it lately. Shes not happy until she tries a couple times. What’s worrying me is that she’s been sneezing and scratching her nose... is this bad? Did I cause it because she was by my face? Her nose is kinda red but when I leave her alone and come back it’s normal colored again. I already took her to the vet (a regular one since the closest avian vet is 6 to 7 hours away and I just can’t do that) they said she was ok and was a healthy weight. They also checked her breathing and said she sounded fine but gave me medicine just in case and she took it for 7 days. Well, she’s still sneezing and I don’t know what to do. I bought a rabbit air purifier hoping it would help with the dust in her room thinking maybe that would help he stop sneezing? She also kinda yawns really big and a lot at certain times of the day or Sometimes when she’s been next to my face getting scratched and loved on. Is that bad too? But one of the things I’m wondering about most is that recently she’s changed. She used to hate everyone but me. Then one day when mom came into my room Blush just had to be on her shoulder. My mom would whistle and blush would talk back. Blush is always quiet and when I whistle and talk she just listens and doesn’t usually chirp that much. She would chatter away on my moms shoulder. So I thought ok, she loves my mom more than me.... sigh. But what’s strange is that she won’t let my mom touch her and then proceeded to bite her and if my moms face gets too close to where blush is on her shoulder she also bites her face a lot. Why does she want to be on her shoulder so bad but then bites when being looked at closely or touched?? I thought it was just my mom but she did the same thing with my sister. She insists on being on them and not with me when they are in my room. Does she not like me? She even bites me sometimes when I get close to them or try to get her to step up when she is on their shoulders. She doesn’t always bite me when I tell her to step up when she’s on their shoulder but she does sometimes and it kinda hurts my feelings a bit... did I do something wrong? What’s with this sudden behavior??? She still lets me touch her and pet her and she still steps up but as soon as they are in the room she really wants to be on them but yet will bite them if they get to close to her. Why? When she is with me sometimes it also seems she’s trying to go somewhere but doesn’t know quite were she wants to go. I let her on the floor she looks around wanders some, comes back to sit on my foot I pick her up she’s happy but then she still looks around a lot like she wants to be somewhere and then I let her down and she repeats. I put her on my bed she goes to the same spot every time but when I go over there she wants to be picked up I don’t know quite what she wants. Does she want to find a place to hide from my Quaker? They don’t get along they just tolerate each other but their cages have to be in the same room. 0B1D6F6A-E57C-4A66-ADD6-CAB23D62335A.jpeg
They will both sit on my shoulder but I don’t think they are best buddies. Ive noticed she kinda avoids getting close to him so I stopped letting Ilja my Quaker get close to her. Does she just not want to be In the same room with him? Is that why she’s trying to find somewhere to go? Still that doesn’t really explain the odd behavior with my mom and sister..

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump.

Char.bird

Strolling the yard