• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Strange but serious question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Couldn't seem to find a better sub forum for this so I apologize ahead of time if this is in the wrong place.

Ok so I have a strange but serious question. I've had several people mention to me (what I assume is a stereotype) that parrot ownership is typically associated with homosexuality? That seems like a rather humorous and misinformed point of view. Doesn't affect or sway me in anyway. Yes I am single, but I am most certainly heterosexual (not that it matters at all haha). I just found this really comical. What is going on here with this stereotype? Is there some statistical data to support it? Perhaps if there is some merit to this assertion, what is the cause? Does that lifestyle choice somehow better facilitate parrot ownership??? I know this just sounds completely silly. Just curious how and why that stereotype got started. I'm sure a lot of people are going to respond back "Thats crazy, im not gay and have always kept birds". I guess I am looking for more of an opinion on the reasons for the claim instead of several attempts to refute it. I am willing to bet long before hearing everyones response that parrot ownership has absolutely nothing to do with sexual orientation and people are just crazy and misinformed. Tell me why you think some people feel this way please.

PS. I am in no way against homosexuality. I am sure there are lots of parrot owners out there of all sexual orientations. I dont want this post to get political. I'm just asking a serious question. I had honestly never heard this...

Rolanda

Rollerblading along the road
WOW! That's one that came out of the Blue!!! RANDOM!
I've never heard that one. Not that it matters one bit, but on this forum I am sure there are all orientations. Many married, both Homosexual and Heterosexual. And I'm sure others on other spectrum. I've never heard that. My Mind is blown.
I think wherever this idea came from is trying to stir someones pot. WTH?!

*Possibly the "More disposable income; nicer toys and homes" theory that follows homosexual couples. Generally, no children, more disposable Income.

Last edited:

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
No help here, sorry, I've never heard that assumption.

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
YES thank you Rolanda! Glad I am not the only one who was like "What?!?"

The first time I heard it I thought this individual was just crazy, but then another (and essentially unrelated) friend mentioned the same thing. Then I think I heard it a third time from another person.

I get the feeling they all just happen to only know a few local friends that have a bird and just also happen to be homosexual. It does seem to be hard to find people with birds when you're on the outside of the circle. It took me weeks to finally find a friend of a friend of a friend that owned a bird. Perhaps thats why people make that association? Such a small sample size. They meet one or two bird owners of a specific sexual orientation and now default all bird owners to whatever group it turns out to be. Sounds silly I know... Unfortunately, I think that's how some of our society thinks nowadays though.

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
This forum most likely has all sexual orientations and all religions. I've heard the "theory" that people who are bird people may have higher intelligence. Being homosexual or super smart because you have a bird is ridiculous in the end but it's not all that insulting. Being told I'll always be single because I keep snakes and tarantulas was probably insulting. It doesn't bother me either way. If you're happy, who cares what other people think?

I'm not sure I can think of a valid a link between birds and homosexuality. Unless it's this misplaced idea that homosexuals can't have kids and parrots are their replacement.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Never ever heard that. That's just bizarre, IMHO.

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
People lump "different" things with other "different" things, and anything out of the mainstream scares people who lack creativity, exposure or smarts.

Rolanda

I don't see how having a bird is not mainstream. How many people had budgies or cockatiels as kids? Large birds is a little more unusual, I get that but. I wouldn't say not mainstream. We're called "Crazy Bird People" but now we're all Gay Crazy Bird People? WOW! Seriously? Does that mean I am now a TRIPLE Minority? Do I get a PRIZE for that?:starshower1:

People just HAVE to find a box to put others in " I don't do what you do so you must belong somewhere other than myself... Hmmmm... Let me put you in THAT Box... Yeah, I like you There" You ALL belong THERE!:aarules:

Last edited:

Pipsqueak

Avenue Veteran
Ha ha, never heard of that one. Is it because of the rainbow colors in the flag? Like the feathers of parrots ?

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I don't see how having a bird is not mainstream. How many people had budgies or cockatiels as kids? Large birds is a little more unusual, I get that but. I wouldn't say not mainstream. We're called "Crazy Bird People" but now we're all Gay Crazy Bird People? WOW! I seriously? Does that mean I am now a TRIPLE Minority? Do I get a PRIZE for that?:starshower1:

People just HAVE to find a box to put others in " I don't do what you do so you must belong somewhere other than myself... Hmmmm... Let me put you in THAT Box... Yeah, I like you There" You ALL belong THERE!:aarules:
They say birds are the third most popular pet, but I think it's still not considered mainstream by most people. I don't know anyone who owns a bird, and I've dealt with my share of stigma and jokes from friends I never imagined would be weirded out by my birds.

AvianCrew

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
michelle
Never heard of that.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I never heard that one before either!

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Same old story, the public doesn't understand how a parrot could bring such joy into someones life, therefore, misinformed people say misinformed things (and stupid ones at that.)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
That's a new one for me too! I know several people with parrots and some are straight, some are gay, some are married, some are single, some have kids, some don't. No real correlation.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true.

-- Robert Wilensky, speech at a 1996 conference

If fifty million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing.

-- Anatole France

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
People just HAVE to find a box to put others in
This is so unbelievably true!

Thanks everyone for the responses. I was 99.99999% sure there was no correlation, but I just wanted to see what the informed bird community thought about this. People are too funny...

schnitzle

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Schnitzle
I always thought it was only if the parrot was wearing their earring in the left ear :p

I've seriously never heard that stereotype before. I wonder if it's because having a pet that is less than a wolf that you wrassled with your bare hands means you're "soft"? I'd love to know if this stereotype applies to women too! Maybe I can up my gay cred :rolleyes:

ETA: Yes, it's the parrots that are gay, not the people! LOL!
Scientists: Being Gay Is Good, if You're a Bird

Status
Not open for further replies.