• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Strange Budgie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andee

Walking the driveway
So I've had Bob for a few months now and I have decided he is the strangest budgie I have ever seen. I got him from a pet shop that I trust out of an adult cage. I aksed if they could tell me approximately how old he was and they said about 6 months but no more than one year. I actually think he is a lot older. After a few weeks I noticed the feathers above his tail were flared like a fan... Although he had no other signs of illness. A day or two later I saw he had pin feathers and so thought the flared feathers may be about to fall out in a molt. Apparently not- they are still there. In addition to this he has wings that sit strangely on his back and when I hold him in my hand he goes stiff as a board... legs striaght and his bones seem to 'crack'. I assure you I am not holding him too tighly! He can easily slip through my hand if he tries! His feet are also splayed. My conclusion is that he was probably bred in a horrific bird factory and this is the result. I am happy to say that he is a lovely addition to the flock and has balanced things out nicely. His placid little personality is perfect for my cage of extroverts! :D

Attachments

nellysmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Diane
He is very handsome and very lucky to be with you. Possible a good molt will get his feathers in shape. Does he bathe? Daily baths or misting will help those pins.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
he's a beautiful boy, his eyes are so bright and clear, he is fortunate to have landed with you!

:hug8:

Andee

Walking the driveway
Thanks :) He does bathe, they all love their little birdie bath. He just had a big molt... and no change to the tail... but I hope they look a bit better after next years molt:laughing12:because I think the lady birds find it a bit unattractive ;)

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
Awww Bob is a very handsome fellow.. :heart:

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Such a handsome boy! (even with food all over his beak and face! :rofl:)

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
So cute, lil' chicken legs! :swoon:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
HE IS a very handsome fella and so glad you have him now.

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
He is at least 1 yr old or older

I do not see splayed legs, his legs and feet are straight in the last pic, Splayed leg they can't stand on their feet because their legs go out to their side

also the feathers look like they've been messed up from cage bars- usually a cage that is too small this happens Or when climbing around a cage the tail feathers poke through the bars and get frayed/broken

and out of a habit (some may consider it a bad habit lol) you have a Mauve Greywing Clear flight pied :)

Andee

Walking the driveway
Thanks atvchick... I think there is something wrong with his toes more than his feet I guess? He doesn't have the best grip of perches lol... I hope his feathers aren't from the cage... none of the others have them? Getting a new cage soon anyways so hopefully that will give his scruffy self some more room to move :)

robin's my baby

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
sarah
hmm your little fella looks the same age as my robby he is about 3-4 maybe 5

Status
Not open for further replies.