• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Strange budgie poops?

asdf6121

Meeting neighbors
Hey guys, it's been about a week since I got my baby budgie, and she is already super hand tame and playful toward us. Today however, I noticed her poops have been very strange. These two photos (and poops) were taken the same day, about three hours apart. I am very worried. I was already going to make an appointment with a vet for a checkup, so can this wait, or do I need an emergency vet?
I also want to mention that in the mornings, I leave only pellets in her cage (I can't tell if she eats them, or only picks out the millet seeds I hide), and in the evening, I give her millet. I know pellet can give birds strange poops, but this is TOO strange. 35E3DAF0-5135-4C79-8B91-64B933C88AC9.jpeg

Olliebirb

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
The first one looks like she isn't eating. Budgies are known to rather starve than eat pellets so if you are currently trying to transfer her to a pellet diet then always offer seed food in the beginning. If that is what is going on definitely give her some seed right away.

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
The first one looks like she isn't eating. Budgies are known to rather starve than eat pellets so if you are currently trying to transfer her to a pellet diet then always offer seed food in the beginning. If that is what is going on definitely give her some seed right away.
Are you sure she is eating the pellets? As @Olliebirb mentioned, lots of budgies don't take to pellets instantly.

You could try mixing some seed in with the pellets, and even adding a drop of water and mixing them so that she will start to get a taste for pellets, even if she just has seed. I also found my budgies will happily eat their pellets if I physically feed them (by literally placing a pellet at a time in their beak!)

clarousel

I think you can tell if your bird eats the pellets if there's some 'dust' from the crunching. But I guess it could vary depending on the type of pellet.

I remember reading somewhere that poop becomes dark coloured because of lack of food and more bile content.

Do try feeding her one pellet at a time by hand like Miss_sj suggested! It worked for me too :)

asdf6121

Meeting neighbors
The store where I got her were feeding her these pellets, but also had millet in the cage all day. I think she's been only eating millet her entire life..

Shes tried veggies and loves lettuce, but doesn't seem to recognize pellets as food.

I've tried crushing up the pellets and mixing millet with it but she seems to only pick out the millet? When I give her one piece at a rime, she will chew on the pellet then spit it out :(

Last edited:

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
I think for now at least you should buy her an optimal seed blend. Keep up with the veggies but try her on a good seed blend. I think you will see an improvement. Pellets are great when they actually eat them but they really are seed eaters. Take out the millet for now too. A good seed and any and all veggies she will eat. If she takes to the seed (and I think she will) you can grind up some pellets with it.

elitys

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Elise
Another thing that helped with switching our picky tiel onto pellets was mashing them and mixing seeds into the mash. That was, the bird has to look for the seeds in the mash and in the process they end up tasting some pellets. Switching onto pellets is difficult but is necessary in many experts' opinions. It takes time, patience, and trickery.

I highly recommend getting a gram scale so you can monitor her weight, and weighing her in the mornings after she poops and before she eats to get an accurate reading. You can get cheap scales off of Amazon ($15-20) and bribe her to stand on them using millet.

asdf6121

Meeting neighbors
Ive tried the mash but she seems to still eat around the pellet mash. I think getting her a seed blend for now will be a good idea! I tried to only use millet as an occasional treat for the first few days, but after realizing she was't eating, I've been feeding her more so she won't starve. After she learns to eat things besides millet and lettuce, I will try to switch her back onto pellets. She is a baby so I think she is not at risk for weight gain for now? I do plan on making an appointment with an avian vet for a check-up. Thanks to everyone for looking at her poops :) I'm a bit paranoid about her health haha

asdf6121

Meeting neighbors
What pellets are you feeding? Sometimes some birds just prefer a different brand!
I bought the one the store had been feeding her, from a brand called All Living Things. I saw on my avian vet's website that they have bird pellets that they recommend, so I figured I would talk about pellets with my vet!

clarousel

I bought the one the store had been feeding her, from a brand called All Living Things. I saw on my avian vet's website that they have bird pellets that they recommend, so I figured I would talk about pellets with my vet!
Yeah ask your vet! :) I've not heard of that brand before but from a quick google I see there's added colouring, so probably not the best pellet to feed. It's worth seeing what other kinds are available for you!

They're also quite large pieces so it could be why she's ignoring them. My pellets are for budgies but they're too big so I have to grind them up.

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
Yes, I know the brand all living things. They are sold in Canada. I think once she is eating a good seed blend, I would try Harrison's extra fine but I would blend it even finer and sprinkle it over her seeds. Weight gain (as in too much) isn't what you're worrying about right now, it is weight loss. Harrison's are pricey but they are the only pellets (ground up) that Sam will even try.

grafton

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Grafton
Harrison's are pricey but they are the only pellets (ground up) that Sam will even try.
Baed on my vet's recommendation, I made the switch from seed-based diet to Harrisons years ago and have never looked back. The results have been impressive. My birds are happy, my vet is happy and all that makes me happy.

asdf6121

Meeting neighbors
I purchased a seed blend today, and after some picking, she finally started to chow down! I know pellets are the best, but I'm glad she's eating something other than spray millet. 4DEC1C3D-FE49-4B9A-A31A-33B9FF5B7DE2.jpeg Her poops are looking very healthy and normal now! Here's her exploring my head.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Roudybush makes a crumble and nibles variety. This brand would be a good one to try.

Can you get these where you live? Harrison's has a superfine size appropriate for very small birds.

A crumble is already soft to almost crush more to an easier way to eat, mixed in with a good, clean seed.

The Lafeber Company makes a pellet berrie you can crush up, pellets mixed into a ball shape.

I would honestly go a fresh food route of chopped up greens, broccoli, carrots cooked legumes. Give it a try, very very finely chopped.

asdf6121

Meeting neighbors
I believe I can order both of those online. Thanks for the suggestions! I'm writing them all down on a list and asking the avian vet which she thinks would be best when I see her. Soda already loves lettuce and oranges, so I plan on trying to introduce her to chop soon!

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Best lettuce would be darker romaine, top leaves. Kale is very good too, dandelion greens etc. Iceberg, no.

asdf6121

Meeting neighbors
Best lettuce would be darker romaine, top leaves. Kale is very good too, dandelion greens etc. Iceberg, no.
Yes! When cooking I save the darkest romaine leaves for her! I'll be sure to have her try kale as well! Its nice that she can eat so many things from my kitchen

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Yes! When cooking I save the darkest romaine leaves for her! I'll be sure to have her try kale as well! Its nice that she can eat so many things from my kitchen
Funny, when my Mother accompanied me to the grocery store she would often ask "is that People food, or parrot food?" While in the produce dept :think1: :laugh:

You know, the small bags of green beans, one piece of okra, or 1 sweet potato an apple, 2 bananas (one for me, some for them) etc. The poor cashiers ringing up pieces lol but I shop so often, I buy small qty a few times per week. I do buy the fresh cut up fruits for me and them.

Very fun to experiment. My Cockatoo eats so many things. But, not all at once. She likes pieces and little chunks handed to her. My Amazons, they are good at eating an assortment from a bowl.

When I kept budgies, they loved broccoli florets in their bath tub, or romaine in there. It kept the things hydrated too. I would sprinkle chopped kale, romaine, carrots and red cabbage, etc on the cage bottom for foraging. As soon as I put it in there, they were munching away.

The 2 budgies are with my Nephew. They are doing well. They were found outside 2 years ago and rehomed to him after my Cockatoo was adopted. Per the rescue, no small birds. They are the heaven sent nuggets, very much loved and they come here when the kids go out of town. :)