• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Strange behaviour in Zebra Finch

rocksie

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Lesley
Hi all, I'm hoping this is nothing to worry about but figured I would ask anyway. We have two zebra finches that are quite young. One was adopted from a pet rescue (Darwin) and the other from a pet store (Atticus). We have had them for two weeks and they are enjoying their cage, the food, water and baths we provide. Over the last week, Atticus has been acting a little strange and I think it's normal but my husband is a little worried. We had two houses in the cage, one a coconut shell and the other a woven basket type thing. Atticus went and took all the nesting fibre out of the coconut hut and put it in the bigger woven one. He then goes and sits in the coconut hut and stays there for long periods of time. Darwin (who is older) will go in and sing and sit on him. Atticus has been going into the other little hut too and just sitting for about 30 minutes at a time. I think it's just nesting behaviour but wanted to make sure it wasn't anything serious. They do fly around the cage and chase each other and sometimes fight over kale we put in (Atticus likes to hog it and will peck at his brother if he doesn't want to share). They both sing and are pretty active when it comes to eating, drinking and taking baths. It's just the sitting in the little houses more than before that I am concerned about. Am I overreacting? Are they just acting normal? Any help would be appreciated.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew