• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Strange behavior

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
So Emma has started making some weird noises that I'm guessing someone out there can pin point. As I mentioned in my previous post, while I was out on vacation, Charlie and Emma started getting frisky. Charlie now seems to be in full nest building mode. He is hunting for materials around the cage and kitchen several times a day and is very persistent. This question is about Emma though. I set it up with this background information because I am guessing the behavior is breeding related. Emma will go into the nest and make this raspy wheezy really low volume call. It's definitely a call and not a health issue or her laying an egg or anything else like that. I have observed her closely. She occasionally just goes in the nest and makes this raspy low volume call. It almost seems like a call to Charlie to work on the nest. Any ideas what this call is all about?

Adam21

Strolling the yard
Hello! No need to worry, Emma is just calling Charlie over to feed her. He will begin that. She should have done the nesting herself prior to mating. Mine was ripping up paper towel for her cage. I got her nesting material but she didn't like it much and would only play with it and throw it to the bottom of the cage. :)

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
Expect eggs! It sounds like they're super in love :)

Ive never heard any of my finches do anything like that, however my finches also don't feed each other, beak nuzzle, ect (except for two, fox and puffkin,who are always snuggling and preening).

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
It's probably a "come into the best with me, my love." Sort of thing. Finches do this. Even parrots do it.

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Yeah they are snuggle bugs. They nuzzle beaks, perch together outside the nest, and preen each other. They call each other when one gets too far. At this point I think it is safe to assume they are paired. They have been mating pretty regularly and Charlie has been nest building like crazy. He even let me help :)

I am expecting some eggs in the very near future and have prepared for the worst. I'm going to let them sit on these eggs, but I am planning on replacing them with faux eggs. I want to get an idea for their behavior while nesting, duration, egg quantity, frequency, etc. I have made preparations to separate them in the future if necessary (see newest post), but for now I am just planning on seeing how things go this first time around. Eventually I plan to make an attempt at hand raising, but not this first time.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Don't be surprised if the first round of eggs are infertile. It seems like finches 'play around' or maybe play house the first time. Later they get down to business. (I hope this doesn't happen to you, but letting you know just in case!)

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
So the COOLEST thing happened today. Helping Charlie with the nest seems to have been an incredible trust building exercise. I helped him again today with some more cotton sting and now he is just flying to my arms and especially to my shoulder for no reason at all. Just to perch and hang out for a few minutes! He makes the cutest little sounds on my shoulder. Caught some video of Emma fixing up the nest to her liking too.