• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Strange Behavior of my Yellow Naped Amazon

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael

I think @Clueless was referring to the singing ;) MC doesn't love singing.

Aww shucks! Maybe it's the music. Lol. Needs different music.
When I had Xena, my yellow napped, sang row row row your boat, streeeaaaaam, Mary merry merry dream. Yea she didn't get words right, but she tried.
Poppers loves enya, Lorena mckinnet, Celine Dion.And will sing along when her favorite song comes on.
Mason another Male BFA I had back in 90's, as a rescue that was needing to be rehomed, liked country music.
Would go yeeehaawww. Lol!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I've encountered a very similar situation with my Blue front Amazon. Took about 9 months before she felt she could step up and sit longer than a minute before wanting back down.
Now several years later we are best of buddies. It takes time and lots of patience.
I've had a Couple yellow napped several years back as a third parront to them. They carried a LOT of past baggage.
Every bird is unique in its personality. They are not easily broken, but never impossible. So don't think that. It takes a board of patience. They over come it, trust me. It doesn't happen overnight. Most cases with being second, third or even forth parront, it can take even a year or more on average, 18 months to come around.
Amazon's are easy to read their body language. The nips are generally not hard, but a warning like saying " not yet" , I don't trust you get type of nip.
Amazon's are how do I say, like a monkey see, monkey do
type of attitude. In other words, you have to be the example.
Food for example, if you express wow this is good type of emotions and attitude, the bird sees that get that must be good, and want some.
Other times I lean on their cage and play with their toys, and act like I really enjoy it. ( This you have to play by ear as Amazon's can be very picky about their cage and who approaches.)
But point is interact with them, sing song. Amazon's love singing.

See, I have no idea what a nip is. A chomp yes. Maybe my skin and flesh is as soft as butter... one bite from my zons and I have a hole that bleeds profusely. Now, occasionally I'm not paying attention when I bend over in front of Lola when she's sitting on her lower door perch and she makes an intent grab at my behind. So far I haven't suffered a nasty bite or pinch that breaks the skin... probably because I have tight buns.....:laughin:

Singing yes... Lola loves to sing... a cheerful "good morning to youuuuuu" "Yankeee Doodle went to town, riding on a pony, stuck a feather in his hat... and called it macaroni" ( She and Henry can sing the full verse very well) " Here she comes.... MIss America!!!" " My name is Lola, Lola Falana... I'm a showgirl!!!!" and the Lalalalala...la la la.... Henry.... I've worked on teaching him the Mr. Rogers "Its a beautiful day in the neighborhood... a beautiful day in the neighborhood" and all he's gonna start is the " It's a..." Frankly... some days I get tired of singing it back to him but if it's a pretty day outside I do because it sets a good mood. I do have him singing that song somewhere on video... just one time.

Lola doesn't mind direct eye contact but Henry... looking at him can be very provoking and confrontational. He simply doesn't like it and can be set of like an H Bomb if you look beyond his temper zone... which can be seconds. All depends on his immediate mood. Touch his toys? Not even. And if he's not in his cage when you touch them... he's coming..to tell you not to.

berries

Strolling the yard
I definitely went into this prepared for a lot of patience and commitment to get him comfortable in his new home, and im really glad to know that it will pay off eventually. He's recently become more interested in stick training so I think thats a good step.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
See, I have no idea what a nip is. A chomp yes. Maybe my skin and flesh is as soft as butter... one bite from my zons and I have a hole that bleeds profusely. Now, occasionally I'm not paying attention when I bend over in front of Lola when she's sitting on her lower door perch and she makes an intent grab at my behind. So far I haven't suffered a nasty bite or pinch that breaks the skin... probably because I have tight buns.....:laughin:

Singing yes... Lola loves to sing... a cheerful "good morning to youuuuuu" "Yankeee Doodle went to town, riding on a pony, stuck a feather in his hat... and called it macaroni" ( She and Henry can sing the full verse very well) " Here she comes.... MIss America!!!" " My name is Lola, Lola Falana... I'm a showgirl!!!!" and the Lalalalala...la la la.... Henry.... I've worked on teaching him the Mr. Rogers "Its a beautiful day in the neighborhood... a beautiful day in the neighborhood" and all he's gonna start is the " It's a..." Frankly... some days I get tired of singing it back to him but if it's a pretty day outside I do because it sets a good mood. I do have him singing that song somewhere on video... just one time.

Lola doesn't mind direct eye contact but Henry... looking at him can be very provoking and confrontational. He simply doesn't like it and can be set of like an H Bomb if you look beyond his temper zone... which can be seconds. All depends on his immediate mood. Touch his toys? Not even. And if he's not in his cage when you touch them... he's coming..to tell you not to.

Lol....:coffeescreen:......haven't been bitten on the bum...yet.
Though been bitten through short on man boob!! Damn that hurts! Been bitten down south through jogging pants before too while Grayson was on my lap and I wasn't paying attention.
Every Zon I had love d to sing in some form. I have a CD song singing made for parrots exclusively. An hour of hundreds of nursery songs and camp fire songs.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Lol....:coffeescreen:......haven't been bitten on the bum...yet.
Though been bitten through short on man boob!! Damn that hurts! Been bitten down south through jogging pants before too while Grayson was on my lap and I wasn't paying attention.
Every Zon I had love d to sing in some form. I have a CD song singing made for parrots exclusively. An hour of hundreds of nursery songs and camp fire songs.
I almost choked on my coffee.... :rofl:

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I almost choked on my coffee.... :rofl:
So sorry Andrea!:toofunny: My wife choke on hers too when it happened. :shrug2:
Picture taken moments before he bit me down south there.:angry:
Now this little devil :devil: looks like he was taking a nap, and probably was, but planning the whole thing out while napping! :teacher:
IMG_20180426_180240.jpg

Last edited: