• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Strange behavior (female canary)

Leronska

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Valeria
Hi. I am in despair. About three month ago I got a female canary. At first the bird was curious about everything and friendly. Usually she was sitting on or near me while I was sleeping, playing with paper, ropes, exploring shelves. And she was often sitting on shoulders or head. She still does it, but her behavior has changed dramatically. In the morning she usually eats and then starts to fly around the apartment, screams. She stops only when gets hungry and after eating does the same. Usually this starts in the early morning and lasts almost till evening. She's not interested in anything anymore, just flies. Only when it gets dark bird gets calmer and can play a little.
I have no idea what's wrong. And what is the root of the problem...

Attachments

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Oh gosh. Please tell me.....
Her diet
Her sleep schedule (hours of dark/light)
More about the screaming. Is it singing? Could it be a male? How old is this canary?

Leronska

Real Name
Valeria
It's young female. I don't know exactly how old she is, petshop did not provide me with that information.
She eats premium seeds "Vitakraft", fruits (apples mostly, not every day). Her food is always in cage in small portions, so she eats whenever she wants. Also there is a cracker for canaries, but she is not interested in it. Sometimes I give her sesame seeds, carrot.
She falls asleep approximately at 22pm and wakes up at 8-9 am. She used to take nap at 12-13pm, but now she flies all the day, stops only when gets hungry.
A little about screaming... As I know, females do not sing, but it sounds like she's trying, tweets and so on. So I can not tell that she's scared.
Today she stopped flying at 17-17:40 when it got dark. After she calmed down she bathed and spent a little time sitting on my hand.
One person told me that she may suffer from seasonal depression and needs special lamp. Can this be the reason her behavior changed or am I doing something wrong?

Attachments

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Can she see a predator? Out the window maybe, or do you have a cat?

The diet is not the best. Your bird needs more than seed-only. I feed tons of fresh vegetables, fruits, grains, and sprouts (sprouted seeds). Also boiled eggs twice weekly and I grind the eggshells for them too. Some people like to feed pellets - which you buy in the pet shop.

If she is not exposed to sunlight, then yes you need a light. I use the ones below. There are also bird-specific lights available. Please don’t use a reptile light, those can damage your baby’s eyes.
They don’t really get seasonal depression, but they need the vitamins created by their bodies when exposed to the right kind of light.

She looks to be very young. I think she might do well with a companion. :)

Leronska

Real Name
Valeria
Can she see a predator? Out the window maybe, or do you have a cat?

The diet is not the best. Your bird needs more than seed-only. I feed tons of fresh vegetables, fruits, grains, and sprouts (sprouted seeds). Also boiled eggs twice weekly and I grind the eggshells for them too. Some people like to feed pellets - which you buy in the pet shop.

If she is not exposed to sunlight, then yes you need a light. I use the ones below. There are also bird-specific lights available. Please don’t use a reptile light, those can damage your baby’s eyes.
They don’t really get seasonal depression, but they need the vitamins created by their bodies when exposed to the right kind of light.

She looks to be very young. I think she might do well with a companion. :)

No, there are no predators, only street view from skyscraper :)
Thank you so much for your help! I find this information really useful. She really enjoyed eating eggs today.

Attachments

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Could she be “seeking” companions? Canary’s tweet a lot, wether they are alone or with others, so this might be completely normal. I agree with @finchly, would it be possible to get her a companion? Canary’s are generally not really agressive birds, soit shouldn’t matter if its male or female ;-)