• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Story of a Colorado Junco Bird

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Last night my daughter told me about an adventure she had feeding the wild birds. I am sharing it with everyone who is interested because it is quite special.
She has two bird feeders and both needed filling. She finished filling one of the feeders after the birds flew away that were eating there. However she noticed one little Junco remaining in the other bird feeder that had not been refilled yet with new seed. The little bird kept eating despite all her efforts.
She even walked close to the Junco and clapped her hands wanting the bird to leave the feeder so she could fill it. Bird had no reaction to the sound of hands clapping. My daughter noticed the bird's eyes were not open. So the conclusion is that this bird is blind and deaf. My daughter put her fingers up to the bird and gently touched it to let it know she was there. Bird climbed up on her finger! She walked it to the other feeder that was filled and bird resumed eating the seed. Afterwards this bird flew back to the exact spot it had been eating before.

How does a little Junco that cannot see or hear survive in Colorado Rockies where there are so many predatory birds? I think its amazing. My daughter then found a book to read about handicapped wild birds. If she sees the little Junco again I imagine she will get some photos. Thanks for reading.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I don't know if Juncos get it but there is an eye disease that is passed around at bird feeders. Mostly house finches get it, but others possible.
It is in Colorado. The eyes shut and they are blind. They won't fly much because they are hungry and sick.
House Finch Eye Disease: Outbreak, Then Understanding

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Oh dear how awful. I send the link to my daughter and I am sure she will follow through with what is needed in the way of cleaning the feeders. Thanks so much. I had no idea.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Oh dear how awful. I send the link to my daughter and I am sure she will follow through with what is needed in the way of cleaning the feeders. Thanks so much. I had no idea.
It is nasty. It is one of the main reasons I stopped feeding wild birds. Just too much disinfecting and then I worry if I'm bringing something in to my parrots.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Talked with my daughter after reading your link. She said they had several birds die about three years ago but no reports of the disease returning. She is a member of Audubon bird organization and called them yesterday. The consensus of opinion is that the bird has birth defects or an anomaly.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Talked with my daughter after reading your link. She said they had several birds die about three years ago but no reports of the disease returning. She is a member of Audubon bird organization and called them yesterday. The consensus of opinion is that the bird has birth defects or an anomaly.
good to hear it won't be a danger to her outdoor flock then