• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Stop the sound of war...

SunnyDay

Moving in
Hey everyone, I have a young male canary who we rehomed last summer. He's been an absolute delight and I hope he'll remain part of my family indefinitely. I wanted a male canary because of their song, but it turns out this puffy ball is a Carbine Commando! As lovely as he is, my living room is filled daily with the sounds of war from dusk until dawn and it is driving me crazy. I can't hear myself think! I can't take phone calls in the same room, concentrate on work or home-schooling my son, and worse, the family now needs to shout at each other to be heard over the bird! It has become chaotic and ridiculous.

I don't want to stop the little guy's song, it's beautiful (when it's periodic). But 12 hours on repeat is too much for me. I've tried many things to refocus his attention such as lengthy out of cage times, mirrors, toys, attention, no attention, food, foraging, music, videos of female hens chirping (which definitely reduces the singing but also my phone battery), and covering him with a blanket (which works but is absolutely not an answer). Nothing so far has worked, he just sits and sings and sings and sings and sings!

I know this sounds funny and even hypocritical of me to write this message after purposefully homing a male, but if anyone knows how I might get him to take a few breaks here and there I will be so grateful. I'm certainly open to getting him a female (would I keep them separated or in the same cage?). I don't want to rehome him, (or live my life upstairs in my bedroom), so please help me if you can, I am desperate.

Many thanks
Charlotte and Sunny

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Your little guy looks beautiful & how wonderful that you rescued him!

Based on your description, I wonder if he has Spanish timbrado in him. There's a canary breeder of longstanding here in town who has American singers, Spanish timbrados & Belgian waterslagers.

Consequently I have listened extensively to their songs & the only one I could fathom having are the singers. The timbrados sound very metallic. I don't find it pleasing. & I find the waterslagers very repetitive.

I wonder if he'd pick up on some more pleasing canary songs if you played them for him on YouTube. Choose a song canary recording that you like & see if this works. It won't help diminish the number of hours he sings, but might help alter his song to be more pleasing to your ear if he adds to his repertoire.

Is there anywhere else you could wheel his cage when you need to talk or attend meetings?

I'd love to hear more about your little guy! Love canaries. They're definitely birds I will have one day. :)

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I guess there can be too much of a good thing.

Bless his heart. I hope he will settle down.

SunnyDay

Moving in
Thank you for your advice and support! Things have improved over the week. I find he's quieter when the house is generally quieter, and I've added lots of extra stimulus plus a new brass framed mirror which has been a huge hit! He loves to gently tap his break on anything metallic inc his bell. I guess he likes the sound it makes. And when it really does get too much, I pop a light cotton cover over one half of his cage for 10 minutes or so, and he'll settle in front of the mirror quietly. I think we can find a balance and make it work. :marlenesmile:

Charlotte and Sunny

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I had a very vocal border canary for 17 years. He is in the background of every family video with us shouting over him, or relatives commenting on how noisy he is. My mother saying "Oh my gosh BeeBop, be quiet!" He definitely loved getting into the action when it was noisy. But honestly I loved it. His song grew longer every year. So complex. I just love canaries. It seems like you are doing all the right things. I'm glad things are a little better this week.

b.b.

Moving in
I was in your position a few days into getting my male canary (first bird ever). Even wrote to the breeder “it’s ironic that I’m complaining as they have been bred to sing...”. I thought canaries were apartment birds, and quiet companions, while this little dude sings his heart out sunrise to sunset, more when I’m out of the room, and especially when I get a phone call!

Because we have a feisty kitty, my canary lives in my office, which is filled with houseplants and full spectrum bulbs. He was about 8 months at the time. The breeder agreed that he “sounds a little too happy” between his hormones and the lights, and suggested I cut back on his bulbs. I did this, because he does get natural light from the windows, and his singing was no longer *constant*. But it’s loud and it’s frequent (like a song every 7 minutes or so and plenty of chirping between). I also moved his cage in front of a window which he looks out of all day and I dump his old seeds / hulls / broken pellets in a tray with pieces of newspaper and strings, which creates a foraging opportunity.

The breeder was the one who encouraged he be single, but based on a variety of behaviors (he also kisses and whispers sweet nothings to mirrors throughout the day which is precious), I was convinced he was lonely. I mean, they sing to attract a mate, so it seems obvious they’re wanting company. I even posted here on AA to ask for guidance, and everyone agreed: he sounded lonely.

I am still on the hunt for some canaries to rescue (rare in Maryland), but a friend of a friend of a friend offered me a society finch so I took it and it is still in quarantine.

I’m not really able to express how wonderfully delightful I find my little canary. He is interactive, curious, funny, and adorable. Watching him learn to fly was awesome (he couldn’t really fly in his breeder cage), and his energy is contagious.

I know you feel silly fussing about your bird doing what he’s been bred to do, but please know you’re not alone, and hopefully it’ll settle and / or you’ll find a rhythm with each other.

SunnyDay

Moving in
Sorry for taking a while to respond to some of the later replies! I'd like to give an update here as I've noticed my experience is being shared to help others on the forum :lol:

After a few weeks the singing calmed down, and I'm pleased to say we have a much happier, peaceful household. As I work from home, he spends a large part of the day perched on the (now bound in twine) door handles of our two big glass doors which look out into the garden, and he gladly watches the world go by. We have a resident robin, blue tit and a thrush who drop by throughout the day, and who he chirps to.

He sings 2 or 3 times a day, for 5-10 minutes, and only more if his cage door is closed. In our experience, a caged bird = more singing. The mirror works a treat, too.

I've since put the old issue down to 2 things:
1. Lack of stimulation and freedom.
2. Sheer joy at having his voice return after the winter months. The novelty soon wore off...

We no longer have any noise issues, although i must admit he cannot resist a song when I'm on the phone, but we've all learnt to live with it. ;)