• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures STOLEN - Ruby the Greenwing Macaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daema

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kas
Prior to posting this I did look to see if anyone else had mentioned her here, using the keywords Ruby, Macaw, and Stolen, so I'm sorry if my search failed and ended up in a repost.

On to the matter at hand. I'm sure you've heard about the recent uproar about a Greenwing Macaw, by the name of Ruby, who was stolen by 'parrot expert' and 'parrot whisperer' Deborah(Debbie) Carney, youtube username 'crazyasaparrot'. She supposedly runs a rescue facility by the name of Fly with Angels, Save a Parrot Foundation.

Juli Berkovsky, her husband, and her small boy had Ruby since she was but a small chick. They had her for a number of years before Juli started to feel like Ruby's noise levels were becoming a problem for her husband who worked from home. Trying to give Ruby the best chance of a happy life, she contacted a woman who was recommended by a group as a 'parrot expert'. Debbie offered to take Ruby for a day to see how she did and how she would react to the change and promised to give Ruby back at the end of the 24hr period, which was verbally agreed upon by the two. Later that night the young boy was crying hysterically because his buddy was gone, so the parents called Debbie up to get Ruby back and explained that they didn't think this was going to work out because their child was extremely upset that Ruby was missing from the family. Rather than being a professional, Debbie said no.

Later the family and the police took a visit to Debbie Carney's property where she claimed she adopted the bird from the Berkovskys'. Based on this claim, the police could not legally remove Ruby from the home. Juli was forced to leave Ruby in the hands of the now theif. Desperate to get Ruby back, she brought the story up to local media, who took it upon themselves to visit Debbie Carney in person. She insisted that Ruby was not stolen, and that she would never return Ruby because she was fed an inappropriate diet full of sunflower seeds(should have been mature and professional and educated the woman instead, assuming it is true), and because the family said they wanted her back because their child was upset. In the interview, she told the media that she told Juli to, quote,"Buy another small bird and the child will forget all about Ruby. You buy a child a little bird and they're over it, I know how little children are."

Juli then took Debbie to court where it was ruled that Ruby was legally still 'property' to Juli Berkovsky and signed an order for Ruby to be returned to her rightful owner. Police then returned to Debbie Carney's home to seize Ruby, only to find Ruby missing. When questioned, Debbie Carney said she gave Ruby to a woman in North Miami. Police followed the trail to an apartment complex, where the woman refused to answer the door twice, once by police, and once by local media. When the local media failed to get an answer, the woman's neighbor came out to inform them that the woman no longer had any birds.

Juli is seeking to file a civil lawsuit for what Debbie Carney has done. In the mean time, however, she is offering a reward for the safe return of Ruby($2,000) or any information regarding the where-abouts of Ruby($500).

Please assist Juli and her grief stricken family in finding their beloved Ruby.

Recent information has tied Gail Goode to the where-abouts of Ruby. Ms. Goode has since refused to talk about Ruby to both officials, the public, and the family. It is believed that Ruby could potentially be in possession of Scott Carney.

Here is Juli's personal profile where she openly allows people to contact her about any information regarding Ruby: Juli Berkovsky | Facebook

OR you can reach her at helprubygethome@gmail.com or 954-261-2811 (proof that this has been made public Juli Berkovsky - Please forward this to everyone you... | Facebook )

Here is an article/video about the situation: Return my Parrot - WSVN-TV - 7NEWS Miami Ft. Lauderdale News, Weather, Deco

Debbie's Google Plus Account: Debbie Carney - About - Google+

Debbie's Youtube with footage of Ruby: crazyasaparott - YouTube

Debbie's Criminal Record + Mugshot: Debra Carney Arrest Details | Homestead, FL

Craigslist ad regarding Ruby: STOLEN GREENWING MACAW REWARD

Debbie Carney talking to police

Notice she lies about how long she's had Ruby. You can also hear that they talk about not being able to get into contact with Gail Goode about the case. She also says she surrendered the bird to Parrot Jungle. Parrot Jungle's only ties, as of this moment, is that they recommended Debbie to Juli, and have since apologized for not checking on Debbie's history prior to recommending her. She also says she works with Parrot Jungle and the Miami Zoo for seven and a half years, even, and claims that Juli surrendered Ruby to her.

Note: Debbie Carney has since removed the video of her showcasing Ruby, otherwise I would have posted it.

Juli Berkovsky telling her story about Ruby

Video of Ruby for identification

Debbie Carney and Gail Goode

Scott Carney

Scott Carney with a Panama Amazon

Debbie Carnie 'stylized' for further identification

Ruby and her young brother

Ruby showing off

Last edited:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I saw the story last month. Its truly heart breaking and sad. I hope she gets her bird back! I wonder whatever happened to Ruby :(

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
If she was forced by courts to give back Ruby wouldn't she be put I jail for ffailing to do so and giving Ruby away? Wouldn't she be fined and jailed?

Lo_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
Things like this make me sick, how can people do such hurtful things and not even care?
I seriously hope that this family gets their Ruby back, and that the woman responsible for all of this gets what she deserves.
:sad5:

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
they can get her for not following the court order, I would follow up with the court to make sure.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Nicest thing I can say is: "White trash".:angry101::yelling:

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
wonder if you could get a judgement on her, are there vets you can check to see if she was brought in, did u put a flyer up for all the vets in your area. Seems like she has a railroad of folks helping her out. Can you file a complaint with IRS maybe she doesn't pay taxes, report her anyway. She can't hide for long. Put some heat on the hubby too

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
There's an ad on craigslist in Florida about this. Said that Carney may relocate from Homestead FL to Las Vegas, NV

I think they need to cover the vet clinics in all those areas. Someday the parrot may need vet care

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
beat her to it, see if there is a vet network where you can get this to other vets in the country or they could tell you what to do. Can you IM me, I would rather do that rather than this thread, I used to do this, (research)

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I just checked with my Avian vet, explained the situation and she gave me 2 numbers you can try, I am determined to help you find that baby

Daema

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kas
@greys4u I wouldn't actually know, Ruby isn't my baby. I'm just trying to spread awareness so they can get their baby back and so that people know Debbie, Scott, and their 'rescue' is not a place or people to be trusted with our avian family. Juli doesn't mind if you message her via Facebook, she accepted my friend request with no questions asked. If you don't have FB, she has an email, too, helprubygethome@gmail.com Or I can relay the information back to her if you don't want to talk to her.

@Clueless That's Juli's ad, I think. She's been trying really hard to find her baby :(

Last edited:

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine