• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Stolen birds (not mine)

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I doubt anyone here can help as it's located in Switzerland, but I just want to share something that has upset me today. 2 days ago a woman located not too far from me had all her aviary birds stolen. Everything. Conjures, cockatiels, rosellas, budgies...so many birds with a beautiful aviary. I'm guessing they haven't been simply set free because she hasn't mentioned seeing any, and she would have likely come across an open door or something. I really feel for this poor woman...people can be so cruel :(

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's awful!! I have no experience with this, but do people steal them to re-sell? That poor woman! It breaks my heart.

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's awful!! I have no experience with this, but do people steal them to re-sell? That poor woman! It breaks my heart.
I'm not sure! I don't see that many conures for sale around here, so maybe they might make a profit?

Although the more I think about it, I'm wondering whether somebody did set them free. Surely stealing all these birds in the night would be difficult?

What makes it worse is that there are a few ignorant people commenting below "I hope somebody set them free, birds don't belong in cages!". Then there's other people saying useless things like "why didn't you have a lock/security cameras" etc. Etc.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I really wish people would not be so judgmental toward someone who is clearly in pain!! I hope they weren't set free...people just don't understand that they simply won't survive! :( This is just horrifying!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
That's so sad. I hope she somehow gets them back.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
This is so sad. Her post is heart wrenching. :(

I think they may've been released, because you mention that the budgies are gone too. Unless budgies are expensive where you are.

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is so sad. Her post is heart wrenching. :(

I think they may've been released, because you mention that the budgies are gone too. Unless budgies are expensive where you are.
Yeah I'm starting to think so too. Budgies aren't expensive, and cockatiels aren't that much more expensive either. She seems to think they were stolen though, perhaps some were stolen and others set free?

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Yeah I'm starting to think so too. Budgies aren't expensive, and cockatiels aren't that much more expensive either. She seems to think they were stolen though, perhaps some were stolen and others set free?
If they were all in the same aviary, the thief would just go in, take what they want, and not worry is one cheap budgie or cockatiel gets out in the process. It's how they work... :(

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Incidentally the full list is turquoise parakeets, red-crowned parakeets, conures, rosellas, cockatiels, budgies and finches. I can't see any other breeds.

If they were all in the same aviary, the thief would just go in, take what they want, and not worry is one cheap budgie or cockatiel gets out in the process. It's how they work... :(
Yup, agreed! Some of the above-mentioned parakeets sound quite rare. I've never heard of a turquoise or red-crowned parakeets?