• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

stinky pineapple conure

sunnieeeee

Moving in
Real Name
Isabel
Hello,
I am new to this. I have a 1 year old (almost 2) pineapple conure named sunnie. I got him from petco when he was a few months old. Last night i noticed his tail has a weird smell to it. i normally smell him LOL but he has never smelled like this and it isn’t a good smell. his tail smells like funky water (i’m not good at explaining). I have noticed sometimes his tail dunks in his water when he is eating but I don’t know if this would cause it to smell like that? he has been eating and drinking fine and has been acting like himself. his feather, eyes and nose is clear also. i just don’t know what it could be. i took him a bath but the smell is still there?:unsure1:

Here is a recent pic of him

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What is his diet like?

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Does he dunk his food in his water bowl? If he does that may explain the smell since depending on the pellets or food being put in the water it can smell bad when it soaks into the feathers it can take awhile to get the smell out. When Nala(GCC) used to eat Zupreem pellets and she'd dunk them in her bowl it would smell legit like vomit it was terrible.

sunnieeeee

Moving in
Real Name
Isabel
Does he dunk his food in his water bowl? If he does that may explain the smell since depending on the pellets or food being put in the water it can smell bad when it soaks into the feathers it can take awhile to get the smell out. When Nala(GCC) used to eat Zupreem pellets and she'd dunk them in her bowl it would smell legit like vomit it was terrible.
Yes he does! He always dunks his roudybush pellets in his water lol. I constantly change his water throughout the day. It probably is from from that. Water isn’t cutting it i get the smell out of his tail

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes he does! He always dunks his roudybush pellets in his water lol. I constantly change his water throughout the day. It probably is from from that. Water isn’t cutting it i get the smell out of his tail
Hmm I'm trying to remember if Nala's water smelled after I switched her to Roudybush.. I don't think it did but that was about a decade ago so my memory on that specifically is fuzzy. I got her on Harrison's after that and her water never smelled when she dunked those. If its so bad that its offensive maybe you could switch him to a water bottle so he doesnt have a bowl to dunk the food in and make it smelly?
It very well may not be the food and another issue but it seems a likely possibility.

sunnieeeee

Moving in
Real Name
Isabel
Yeah I was thinking about switching to a smaller water bowl too so his tail doesn’t keep going into it! Thank you for your help :)

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Your welcome! Hopefully its just the bowl issue and a smaller one will help with that. Your boy is a cutie pie!

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hmm I'm trying to remember if Nala's water smelled after I switched her to Roudybush.. I don't think it did but that was about a decade ago so my memory on that specifically is fuzzy. I got her on Harrison's after that and her water never smelled when she dunked those. If its so bad that its offensive maybe you could switch him to a water bottle so he doesnt have a bowl to dunk the food in and make it smelly?
It very well may not be the food and another issue but it seems a likely possibility.
Roudybush doesnt smell Mojo makes Roudybush soup constantly with her pellets. As well as dumping bits of wood,crinkle paper vine balls and bits of nutriberrie in there.

How often are you changing his water ? I sometimes change Mojos half a dozen times in a day.

Sunnie is lovely he looks cheeky in that pic

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I agree it is likely the pellet soup tail dips he is doing :)

I asked about the diet because my conure smelled terrible when I got her and she was on a kaytee seed/pellet mix.

sunnieeeee

Moving in
Real Name
Isabel
Roudybush doesnt smell Mojo makes Roudybush soup constantly with her pellets. As well as dumping bits of wood,crinkle paper vine balls and bits of nutriberrie in there.

How often are you changing his water ? I sometimes change Mojos half a dozen times in a day.

Sunnie is lovely he looks cheeky in that pic
I work early in the morning and don’t get back till around 2pm so i change it right when i get up and then when i get home as well. he is always making his soup so i always need to change it. And thank you! :)

sunnieeeee

Moving in
Real Name
Isabel
I agree it is likely the pellet soup tail dips he is doing :)

I asked about the diet because my conure smelled terrible when I got her and she was on a kaytee seed/pellet mix.
Now I can put my mind at ease lol i was so worried. I actually recently
bought him a new seed mix so that might be it also. Thank you for your help :D