• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Stink

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Pionus emit a similar smell as well. Nerd smelled like old oranges, when he was sick he smelled like old musty wheat. Lurch smelled much stronger of honey lemon, Dobby smells lightly of honey lemon.
I guess they are kinda related to Amazons

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
What's funny is, when I saw the title of this thread 'Stink', I just knew it was about Amazons. ;)
I had to visit and see who was loving/hating this peculiar amazon characteristic. :laugh:

redindiaink

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Pionus emit a similar smell as well. Nerd smelled like old oranges, when he was sick he smelled like old musty wheat. Lurch smelled much stronger of honey lemon, Dobby smells lightly of honey lemon.
I guess they are kinda related to Amazons
The one I'm taking care of (maxi pi) smells like something sweet and it wafts off him like a perfume cloud of "O d' pi" And he makes this buzzing purr when I stroke his head ... he's adorable. :swoon:

And I've heard that they're more similar to amazona than conures too.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
The one I'm taking care of (maxi pi) smells like something sweet and it wafts off him like a perfume cloud of "O d' pi" And he makes this buzzing purr when I stroke his head ... he's adorable. :swoon:

And I've heard that they're more similar to amazona than conures too.
All my boys have been Maxis, after Nerd I couldn't be without them and their noises.
Nerd I'm certain was wild caught and made noises none of my others have. He had a loud jungle flock call, had a name/noise for me, a name for himself, and used to go ERK! quietly to me when all was right with his world. He also knew he was Nerd and responded to it. They are loyal loving family members when you gain their trust.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Morgan is musky at times. I enjoy the smell; however, the fruity smell of my macaws is more pleasant. They are really pungent in the aviary.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've never smelled another bird so here's my opinion.

When we first got Buddy his feathers were very dirty, like he hadn't bathed in a year. The green looked a dingy brown at the ends. Not caked, just dull & IDK, yucky. He stunk too, bad stink. It took regular misting & baths to convert him to AN normal Amazon smell. When he's wet he has a musty smell that eminates from his neck area in the back... I try to soak this area when he's getting a bath. When he's dry, it pretty much becomes null.

He also seems to have a smell that eminates from the beak & stomach/crop area within. This always seems to smell like the last food he eats. If I give him chamomile in his morning sprouts, it smells of chamomile. If I then give him peppers @ lunch... I'll smell peppers when he's on my shoulder. I guess it's our equivilant of a burp.

They say that the vets & experts don't know where these smells come from. Maybe, we've concluded these areas because Buddy lives on us. I don't know that I'm right, its just my family's opinion that these are the where's. I'm not positive that it is the actual where....

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It’s been my experience that the yellows are the least fragrant. My DYH and YN were not odiferous at all, even when they preferred to nap vs bathe. OW and BF were very musky, although all of those were older males so that might have something to do with it.
The lilac crown girls I had smelled like sweet popcorn!! Seventy years old, bonded sisters, and they looked, acted, and smelled super sweet.