• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Stink

KawaiiBaby

Sitting on the front steps
Yo, my yellow naped amazon smells so bad. It isnt because he stinks but he has this terrible smell. Also I kinda need advice on some pin feathers he wont let me fix up. What can I do for that?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If his breath smells bad it is likely he has something going on in his crop (bacterial infections, etc). Has he been to the vet since you noticed the smell?

As for the pin feathers, does he like to bathe? Baths can help :)

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I know Amazons are supposed to emit an amazing smell sometimes, but I think I remember reading that some folks don't care for it. I've never experienced it so I'll tag a few folks who might be able to describe it.
@Clueless @Rain Bow @Love My Zons @Gen120

I hope to get a nose full of 'zon someday. flower.gif

BirdView

Strolling the yard
Yo, my yellow naped amazon smells so bad. It isnt because he stinks but he has this terrible smell. Also I kinda need advice on some pin feathers he wont let me fix up. What can I do for that?
How old is he? I remember when I brought my Amazon from the breeder that he smelled very bad. Part of the smell was from pin feathers keratin sheath, but most of it was coming from his breath. Also remember that he used to burp too much. Fortunately the smell disappeared and now I rarely perceive any scent.

txdyna65

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
A shower should help with the pin feathers, maybe even the smell, that or you dont like the smell they can emit at times.

I see Mizzely pretty much covered what I was gonna say lol

My girl loves showers and it helps her preen most of the pins out. It also helps to soften the ones she cant get to and I do those for her.

redindiaink

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Any time I hear "bad smell" in relation to a bird I wanna shout, "get thee to a vet!" to be on the safe side.

The smell comes from their feathers so baths will help if it's just parrot BO. It'll also help with the pin feathers. Some extra humidity in the room will help soften the keratin sheath on growing feathers if air is dry.

I give my birds something rough like a spiked pinata, or grass mat attached to a cage wall, that they can rub themselves on when the pins are really bad. One of my birds loses all his face feathers around his nares at once and he'll spend about a month rubbing his face on anything and everything to relieve the itch.

redindiaink

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I love the smell of Amazons, I am in the sniffers club.
This smell comes from the area of their nostrils and is greatest when they are excited.
We actually don't know where it comes from, they suspect it comes from the respiratory tract and is strongest around the nares. I've seen some mention good smells comes from a healthy bird.

Lafeber vet otoh also mentions their plumage gives off an odor.

I rarely get that burst of perfume from their heads anymore, but my house smells of musky amazons.

KawaiiBaby

We actually don't know where it comes from, they suspect it comes from the respiratory tract and is strongest around the nares. I've seen some mention good smells comes from a healthy bird.

Lafeber vet otoh also mentions their plumage gives off an odor.

I rarely get that burst of perfume from their heads anymore, but my house smells of musky amazons.
I was looking for the word "musky". That pretty much is my amazon.

KawaiiBaby

A shower should help with the pin feathers, maybe even the smell, that or you dont like the smell they can emit at times.

I see Mizzely pretty much covered what I was gonna say lol

My girl loves showers and it helps her preen most of the pins out. It also helps to soften the ones she cant get to and I do those for her.
I use a mist spray when I give him a bath and sometimes the water hose when we go outside (no i dont spray right at him). Im kinda afraid he is gonna get spooked if I introduce him to the showerhead. Any advice on getting him used to the shower?

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So, I'm curious. Is it musky like musk cologne? Or something else? I find my budgies can have a smell on hot days, but I'd be at a loss to describe it & it's inoffensive.

txdyna65

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
I use a mist spray when I give him a bath and sometimes the water hose when we go outside (no i dont spray right at him). Im kinda afraid he is gonna get spooked if I introduce him to the showerhead. Any advice on getting him used to the shower?
I built a perch for Lucy to sit on in the shower, it sticks to the wall and has vet wrap on it. The whole thing is made of pvc and was easy to build, but I think you can buy something like it. I get the water just right and turn it down as much as possible. When I put her in she sits on the perch out of the water, but starts ducking her head in it and eventually her whole body.
We've made it a game where she does all her sayings and sings. She gets very excited when she knows shes going to the shower now.
Ive had her since she was a baby and it was easy to get her in the shower as long as its not hitting her directly.
Lucy Shower 3.JPG

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Secret isn't a big fan. I get the shower going with a fine mist luke warm to colder. I put a large crock bowl in (think dog bowl) that has water in it. I put Secret on the edge of the crock bowl OUT of the mist.

Like Lucy, Secret slowly gets in the water.

I also have a designated water bottle that I fill up and mist in the air above Secret's head.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I've heard when they're in bad health (or was that not clean feathers, i.e. first adopted from bad situation) the smell is different. I don't recall what they smelled like at the beginning but obviously not the same.

Very pleasant to me after a few years here. It always brings a smile to my face!

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
I know Amazons are supposed to emit an amazing smell sometimes, but I think I remember reading that some folks don't care for it. I've never experienced it so I'll tag a few folks who might be able to describe it.
@Clueless @Rain Bow @Love My Zons @Gen120

I hope to get a nose full of 'zon someday. View attachment 384172
Sammy has the BEST musty type smell! I can't even describe it but its becoming a comforting smell to me as weird as that may sound lol!