• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Still Weaning or Just Greedy?

Raptor40

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Cody
Hello!

I have 2 gorgeous handreared cockatiels who are about 15 weeks old now. They’re eating seeds and vegetables but they still do eat a few spoonfuls of formula at about 5pm. They don’t cry for it, they’ll just take some off the spoon if I’m feeding the other younger birds. From what I’ve heard, you’re not meant to wean fully until they’re refusing all formula, so I haven’t taken the formula away from them yet. However, these particular birds can be a bit of a pest when it comes to food, especially if they see somebody with a bowl full of breakfast (probably because I thought it was funny and let them steal a few cornflakes from my bowl. I realised pretty quickly why it’s a bad idea). I’m not sure if they’re actually hungry and still weaning, or if they’re just a bit greedy and want it because it’s food. They’re both very healthy birds, if not a bit chubby, and I don’t want them to get overweight from eating formula on top of regular food if they don’t need it.

Thank you!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
At 15 weeks, you could try holding out some seeds or pelelts in your hand in the evening instead of the formula, see how that goes. If they don´t eat those and start crying for formula, give it to them.

Raptor40

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Cody
At 15 weeks, you could try holding out some seeds or pelelts in your hand in the evening instead of the formula, see how that goes. If they don´t eat those and start crying for formula, give it to them.
I think that might work. I have a feeling it’s just become a habit for them to come out and get something to eat at that time of night. I did recently give them some plain popcorn as a treat and they seemed content with that instead of the formula so maybe I’ll just try and swap them over and get them used to it.
Thanks a ton!