• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Still trying to find homes for Kiwi and Nelson

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Guess some people would find me to be unreasonable. I thought I had found the perfect home for Doby and ended up bringing him home with tons of vet bills from Ecoli. Now he is mutilating because of the experience and i even have less time for the small ones. These little ones are extremely healthy, happy birds and I want them to stay that way. Some people that think they want a bird want a bird until the novelty wears off or they learn how much time and care goes into having a companion bird.

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
It's heartbreaking what happens to our feathered friends when they leave. I'm glad that you were able to get Doby back at least, I'm so sorry to hear that he's mutilating.

You’re not being unreasonable at all. These guys need us to stand up for them, and you can’t be expected to place any bird with people with whom you aren’t completely comfortable.

Last edited:

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I had the person I did Doby's rehome with sign a document saying if they could not care for him he would come back to me. When I heard he was in the vet hospital (had to spend a week) my husband and I drove almost a thousand mile round trip, paid the vet bill and brought him home. I don't see him being rehomed again, he has been through enough.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I had the person I did Doby's rehome with sign a document saying if they could not care for him he would come back to me. When I heard he was in the vet hospital (had to spend a week) my husband and I drove almost a thousand mile round trip, paid the vet bill and brought him home. I don't see him being rehomed again, he has been through enough.
...I totally agree.

Every time I read something on this thread, I become so sad...Kiwi would be a wonderful addition to our home, if the circumstances here were different...

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
If Nelson was still available I’d love to have him. I live about four hours away though :(
I'm being really picky. I see from other posts you are not home a large part of the day.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Kiwi and Nelson are still available. I probably could have rehomed them if I were not being so picky. One lady that lives a few miles from me contacted me through a neighborhood board and told me they would be perfect for her young son that already had several birds living in his room with him (they were powder birds which let me know she does not know much about birds).
Kiwi was always loud but happy in her own space but now that I have Doby on me all the time she is insisting on flying to me constantly...jealousy I guess. I really don't want to lock her up and don't want to clip her beautiful wings. She has proven to be an excellent flying.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I really don't want to lock her up and don't want to clip her beautiful wings. She has proven to be an excellent flying.
IRNs are really beautiful flyers...and are magnificent looking while in flight...:D

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
She really is a beauty. Even though she has been fully flighted she has always been satisfied in her own space....no longer, I have to spend my days with Doby on me and she will not have it any longer. Things are changing and she does not like it one bit. Even though I can tell she is really loving soaring around. Nelson is taking advantage now and if he sees she is off her cage or locked up he gets on her cage. Its not a good thing, I've read tooo many horror stories of amputated toes. I have not been in a hurry to rehome them and still want the perfect home where they can be forever but to tell the truth I am drained. Sick bird, sick relatives, sick me. Whats up with all the people wanting babies?

BeachComberNC

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Morgan
Yeah and I wouldn’t want to fly a bird or ship one like that I would be terrified! I would be tempted to drive to Alabama but I think my husband would have a heart attack with me taking the car for a two day jaunt How did Doby get sick? Did he eat something that was contaminated?? Hope he’s better now.

BeachComberNC

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Morgan
Whats up with all the people wanting babies?
I suppose people want to raise them themselves. I personally would prefer a grown bird to adopt as I’d have a better idea of their personalities and any quirks they may have that a previous owner could tell me about beforehand.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Doby got Ecoli poisoning when he was rehomed, he almost died. He was at the vets for a week and I made almost a thousand mile round trip to get him. When we got back I found out he also had a bacterial infection. All of this may have been the reson he started mutalating, we will see.

BeachComberNC

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Morgan
Oh wow do you know how he picked it up or is it just something vet said you’ll never really know?

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
The Ecoli was most likely from contamination of greens. Around that time they had a national recall of assorted greens that were contaminated. The bacterial infection, the vet said, was most likely from bacterial build-up in drinking cups. By this time I am trying not to judge but at the time I have to admit I was angry even though I tried to be as kind as I could be. Every one is not as "deligent" as I am...thats just the truth

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi Janice!
I don't know the owners but it could've been inexperience too! When I first got Buddy I didn't understand how fast things coukd hurt birds. Then I found here...

Speed things up, I found out I was washing produce wrong, was washing his bowls w/ sponges (how dumb) & when he had got to the vet & he had a salmonella infection. Now did I give it to him? Or was it the four days old food & water dishes that he had when they found my Dad?

Vet didn't know said it coulda been anything in that realm. I dilligently washed those bowls & as I read & learned from AA, I was changing that bowl 4 & 5 times a day. I just made dumb mistakes. I too woulda been super peeved that a bird I loved got sick by anothers care but it occured to me, they may not have been dilligent & gone online to learn. Or by the time they did learn like me, it was too late. I really hope you can place them w/ someone you know will take proper care & lotsa :heart:

:bighug: