• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Still trying to find homes for Kiwi and Nelson

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I wouldn't fly her either, I don't trust people to handle her properly. Shes a special lady and I was hoping someone special would take her

Pipper

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Andy
I wouldn't fly her either, I don't trust people to handle her properly. Shes a special lady and I was hoping someone special would take her
I have a, when she wants to be, very loud IRN. Also 2 budgies and a cockatiel that can be just a loud surprisingly and it doesn't bother me.

I am buying a cage at the 1st of February (I am poor) for a 3 year old female IRN I've been taming. She is wild and a menace to herself when I clean the cage. I also know she'd like a cage mate as when I forget to close the cage door she'll go to my 2 budgies & cockatiel's cage (3'x3'x2.5'x5') but she doesn't go in but she likes the cage's location in the room and the comfortable and to her safer vantage point from the top of that cage.

Now I don't need another female IRN but you say she is only 2 years old. Has she been DNA sexed? If she's actually a male IRN I can drive to Birmingham to adopt her & the GCC. The Green Cheek Conure can have the old cage which is 1.5'x2.5'x3' in size.

All my birds (4 of them - 3 year old IRN, 2 year old bonded budgies, 15 year old male cockatiel) can enter and return to their cages (3 cages when the new one arrives in February) as they like.

Pipper

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Andy
Oh, and a picture of the potential cage mate I guess is in order. She is less wild now than when this picture was taken but it's still going to be a while before I can consider her step-up perch on finger tame.

IMG_9709.JPG

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Kiwi is DNA tested female.I don't think she would care for a cage mate, she is very territorial as I gather most IRNs are

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Still trying to find perfect homes for Nelson and Kiwi. Nelson is a cuddly snuglebug/piranha. Kiwi is a loving kissing lady that screams like a banshee. You can email me at janicedyh@aol.com

Last edited:

Pipper

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Andy
Kiwi is DNA tested female.I don't think she would care for a cage mate, she is very territorial as I gather most IRNs are
Thanks, and I don't think Pipper is interested in a female cage mate, even after eventually being tamed, so I had to ask. Good news is my taming is increasingly having an effect on her wildness as she is now starting to show interest in my voice when I speak. It's also why I keep an empty big cage around, just in case, when I do have a suitable male IRN. :)

Thanks though.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
You might find that if she does have a "mate", it will replace you. That doesn't happen 100% of the time but its common.

Pipper

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Andy
You might find that if she does have a "mate", it will replace you. That doesn't happen 100% of the time but its common.
Thanks for the heads up.

She is not tame and while I am working on taming her that is one of the reasons why I want a male cage mate for her. I will tame both as pets but more in the way of being their pet caregiver and not as a 'pseudo-mate'.

I imagine if the male is an untame adult ringneck parakeet he will take much time to tame too. The female I have is not tame and while I've had her only 3 weeks now the taming process is slow even though I spend up to 20 visits to her cage a day and 3 hours a day offering her food and moving very carefully around her cage. She has to be tamed as she is a danger to herself the way she trashes about in her untame state now when her cage has to be cleaned & such pet caregiver activities.

Tomorrow will be the 1st day I try to get her to perch directly on my finger and eat after 3 weeks. One can't chase a bird like that around in the cage or hurry it. Then I will be able to take her out of her cage so she won't feel terrorized when I clean the cage.

And if she isn't tame by the next time I need to clean the cage I'll just start luring out of her cage with food from now on when I clean the cage and then back into the cage with food after the cage is clean. She'll go in and out without my assistance.

This bird is so scared and flighty that even my budgie 10' away in another cage flying about is enough to make her wince and flee sometimes and yet if I leave her cage open she will leave the cage and go to their cage and roost on top but not go in. So somehow, unexpected quick movement detected in her is setting off a 'predator alert' that does her more harm as a pet in a cage than good. I know I can tame her to trust me as I'm making good progress now. A male IRN though, should be equipped with the natural birds sounds and behaviors to become friends with her quick & easy but I'll have to wait and see.

In a non-'large aviary' situation, a pet IRN should not be kept in an untame state as it's cruel to let a bird cower their whole life. That's why I'm making so much effort taming her, over 20 hours a week. I'll be replacing her cage although that won't solve the 'predator alert sudden movement' problem and I'll get her a rolling parrot stand too instead of a cage so she can safely obey that 'sudden movement predator alert' instinct and harmless flee until she see's it's not a actually a danger. The rolling stand will also be a good way to teach her tricks once she's tame.

Tame or not tame - she may not have the ability in her to resist the 'sudden predator alert' instinct and so I have to make living adjustments for her based on that. I'm not talking a bird that is completely tame but that doesn't want to socialize with people here. Those sort of birds behave differently.

I partly wonder, her being a lutino, if her sight isn't overly sensitive. She does see though that is for sure. That is a problem with lutino and albino creatures in general.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Still trying

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm sorry you still haven't found them homes. They're both so adorable.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I'm sorry you still haven't found them homes. They're both so adorable.
A few have contacted me but I didn't feel it was a good fit. They are very spoiled birds. I need someone with experience plus be able to spend a ton of time around them. I know people have to work and not everyone has the luxury of spending a lot of time at home, I understand that. My being a designated care giver in the family will not change any time soon. I will keep them until I find someone. It seems a lot more difficult that imagined, everyone seems to want "babies", Both Kiwi and Nelson are still very young but old enough to know what type of personalities they have.

Crissy in MI

Moving in
Hello! Where is Nelson located?

I have some experience with parrots. I had a rescue lovebird for 16 years, who died in January due to old age. I also fostered two budgies for several months last year before they went to their forever home. I now don't have any pets. I'm severely allergic to cats, so rest easy on that regard. No kids. My husband and I own a house in Michigan. I have regular 8-5 work hours. Thank you!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
everyone seems to want "babies", Both Kiwi and Nelson are still very young but old enough to know what type of personalities they have.
Who on Earth would want babies? I'd rather know who I'm getting. And that goes for any critter (or human for that matter. ;) )

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I am hoping to find someone who is home more than regular work hours. Since they are out of the cage the majority of the day, I think they would be miserable cage all day

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
I'm sorry to hear they're both still looking for homes, I hope you can find homes for them soon. They're both beautiful.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
:bump8:

Yoshi&Raphi

Real Name
Raphi
Giving this a bump. Good luck on getting your babies homes!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
@Pipper If you live near Maryland I will give you my birds cage after next week and some bird supplies, free!