• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Still trying to find homes for Kiwi and Nelson

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I'm still trying to find the perfect home for Kiwi (IRN) 2 years old and Nelson (GCC) also 2.
You can find more info on my other posts on this forum. I'm not looking to find someone to take them together. Lately Kiwi has let it be known that she will not tolerate Nelson near her cage. Up until now she would usually fly off her cage but now she has found her courage and will fight for her territory. I've learned a lot since Doby left my care...one is that he was the shepherd of Nelson. I thought him flying onto the floor and walking around the little ones cages was to forage for something they dropped. I was aware that any time Nelson was on the floor Doby would fly down, I would always intervene because I was worried Doby would hurt Nelson but now I understand...Doby knew Nelson should not go to Kiwis cage. I would love to find someone near me (Birmingham, AL) with GCC experience to take Nelson. Since he tends to be Nippy and a one person guy I don't think a home with small children would work for him. Kiwi is my laid back girl. I am her person and can honestly say she has only bitten me once and that was when I placed her into a larger cage when she was 12 weeks old. She tolerates my grandchildren but is not a fan. When the kids come over I let them hold her once and then put her in her cage so she will feel safe. Someone with at least Cockatiel experience would be good. Someone that could tolerate a lot of noise because the girl can be super loud, definitely NOT an apartment bird. Both these babies spend the day out of the cages and are not clipped. I would prefer their new families would keep them flighted. I'm hoping to get these babies settled before life forces me to keep them in their cages all day. 45437970_2223334747935341_5872359172930011136_n.jpg 45345779_475683316172892_7618695692982157312_n.jpg

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I'm still so sad for you that you are having to make this choice, but I know you will find the perfect homes for them. :bluhug:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
They are beautiful. So sorry you have to rehome them.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
The fee is not as important to me as the home he is going to. From your post giving just a few details about yourself I see you have a dog. Since Nelson is out of the cage the majority of the time I don't think thats a good fit. Nelson and Kiwi are going to be great companions for the right person. My suggestion for you would be to spend some time on Avian Avenue, let people get to know you and in the meantime learn from a great group familiar with different species. Visit some of the forums...the good, bad and ugly one is a good start.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I hope you find the right person for them to go home with soon, I am sorry you have to do this :hug8:

aidee

Moving in
Real Name
Aidee
The fee is not as important to me as the home he is going to. From your post giving just a few details about yourself I see you have a dog. Since Nelson is out of the cage the majority of the time I don't think thats a good fit. Nelson and Kiwi are going to be great companions for the right person. My suggestion for you would be to spend some time on Avian Avenue, let people get to know you and in the meantime learn from a great group familiar with different species. Visit some of the forums...the good, bad and ugly one is a good start.
Yes i do have a dog, but when my birds go out of their cage, my dog doesn't they both come out different times but when they do come out together, my dog does her own thing and leaves the birds alone, which she knows better than to go near them when they're out.

Marvel_ous

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Trinity
If you still haven't found a home by January I might be able to have a talk with my parents about Kiwi, although with her being larger and loud, as well as us having to come from a few states over to get her (I'm in Colorado) everyone in my household would have to be on board and enthusiastic.
I have only had a budgie before, but I've been on the Avenue for a while now and have been researching parrots and their needs for even longer. My family isn't as well-versed, but they are respectful and willing to listen to me as the "bird expert" around my house.

I'm a teen, but calm and mature for my age, and most parrots I've met seem to like me, even prefer me over (albiet un-versed around birds) adults. Like I said, we would only take her if my parents were completely on board and understand everything she would need. (Vet visits, bird-proofing the house, etc.) She would be, in a sort of way, a family pet. (Although I'm betting they'll leave the dirty work to me, as usual :hehe:)

However, we definitely wouldn't be ready to have a pet in the household until after New Year's. If Kiwi is still looking for a home by then, feel free to PM me, we'll talk more, and I can have a chat with my family.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Anyone considering Kiwi as well as considering Nelson needs to be aware that they would need to be out of the cage the majority of the day and be VERY aware of how loud Kiwi can be. Shes loud when she is happy, loud when she wants something, loud when she plays....the girl is just loud.

Marvel_ous

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Trinity
Of course. We have no other pets and an easily bird-proofed home (Plenty of doors to shut in things we wouldn't want a parrot chewing!), so any birds we would have would be out whenever someone is home. My dad works from home, my mom doesn't work, and me as well as my two sisters are homeschooled, so that time is most of the time. At most, on a day we are out for a while, she would be locked in no more than three hours.

I'll play some ringneck calls full blast for my family and see if they can handle it before we even consider. My mom is super paranoid about noise when my dad is working, but it doesn't bother him personally at all. (Gracie, the youngest, can rival a macaw in noise level when she wants to, and BOY were those macaws really going at it. She's the loudest kid I've ever met.) It would mostly be showing my mom that the noise, in reality, doesn't bother my dad.

But, again, nothing decided till January.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I have a video of Nelson on the rehoming forum. You can hear Kiwi in the background. Her voice is really sharp and ear piercing AND continuous. The audio is just when she is quietly playing. When she wants something it is louder and higher pitched. As I said previously, whoever has the pleasure of sharing a home with her needs to be oblivious to noise

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Just in case. I'm bumping this up. 2 healthy and happy bundles of love, routinely vetted, available to someone with experience. I am a picky mom.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
If I had room for another, I'd be probably disowned by my family. Nelson is just too cute.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I wish I was closer...we'd definitely would consider adding Kiwi to our flock. We know IRNs...and her vocalizations wouldn't be a problem. I miss having an IRN around...

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Come on....you know you want her <3
I really do want her...but there's just no way we could get her here...Erie is a long way from Birmingham...especially in the winter...and I could never trust shipping a bird here by air...I don't like flying myself...;)