• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Still not eating & only one dropping overnight...

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'd find a vet who wants to treat your bird regardless of where you got it. That's really weird to me!

GreenThing

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Kat
I'd find a vet who wants to treat your bird regardless of where you got it. That's really weird to me!
I wonder if there is an issue with outdoor aviaries and diseases in Florida that I am oblivious to (these aviaries seem to be very common in some areas, and there could be a piece of information I'm missing)... she specifically said, "I can't put the other birds in the hospital at risk", so I wonder if she just meant they couldn't see him in an emergency capacity? Their offices are closed Sundays. I didn't really know what to say-- you'd think ANY bird showing signs of disease would be the same kind of risk? But I don't want to jump to conclusions before I find out more. Hopefully I will have time to visit or at least have a longer call with at least two of the avian vets closest to me to get an idea of what they are like.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I wonder if there is an issue with outdoor aviaries and diseases in Florida that I am oblivious to (these aviaries seem to be very common in some areas, and there could be a piece of information I'm missing)... she specifically said, "I can't put the other birds in the hospital at risk", so I wonder if she just meant they couldn't see him in an emergency capacity? Their offices are closed Sundays. I didn't really know what to say-- you'd think ANY bird showing signs of disease would be the same kind of risk? But I don't want to jump to conclusions before I find out more. Hopefully I will have time to visit or at least have a longer call with at least two of the avian vets closest to me to get an idea of what they are like.
I don't know about Florida specifically, but maybe this? Mystery Bird Disease in NE US

GreenThing

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Kat
I don't know about Florida specifically, but maybe this? Mystery Bird Disease in NE US
Yeah, that could definitely be it. Florida was mentioned. I'm picking up on a general frustration with outdoor aviaries in our state from conversations with a pet store employee and now this vet. I wonder if they are viewed as troublesome disease vectors. Invasives are such a huge issue here.