• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Still having egg problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lovebird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kathy
I wrote in a total panic before Christmas because I had to leave town early and I didn't have time to prepare a proper nest for Molly my laying lovie. What I did was positioned the sleeping bed with the two eggs inside the next box and affix it so it couldn't move around. I bugged my petsitter the whole time I was gone asking about Molly's behavior...
She said the first two days Molly would not go in the nest, but instead perched way above it. Then she went in and now she stays there, and it's been 18 days. She comes out briefly to eat and drink, but mostly Mango (daddybird) cares for Molly. I am wondering if the eggs could have sustained life w/o Molly for those two days? If they are fertile could they still be alive? She won't even let me take a peek in there to see how she's nested them.
Any thoughts anyone?? Thanks!

J*M*L

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Julie
:bump4: Wish I could help you. Hopefully someone else can. :hug8:

vmorrison

Meeting neighbors
If she had just laid both eggs and had just begun sitting on them, there should not have been any harm done. Most lovie hens take 2-3 egg to reach incubating temperature, so even if they sit on their eggs, they are merely keeping them warm. The temperature of the brood patch needs to be 99.5F and nothing happens until that temp. is reached.

Lovebird

Real Name
Kathy
Thanks Valerie, I didn't know that about the temp. So does the hatch date start then or from the date she actually lays?

Lovebird

Real Name
Kathy
I agree Marlene, that's how I usually find out about most things --- if/when it actually happens. :huh:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Thanks Valerie, I didn't know that about the temp. So does the hatch date start then or from the date she actually lays?
The hatch date starts from the time the hen actually starts to incubate them and bring them up to temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.