• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Still confused about bird hormones/puberty

bluebird15

Checking out the neighborhood
I have two conures. One was a rehome, and she's great. A little aloof, but friendly and never bites. The other bird, Fred, I got as a baby when he was roughly 8 weeks old. I was prepared that birdy puberty might be hard, and I've read a lot about it. However, I'm still confused about if that's what I'm experiencing. Obviously when he was a baby, he was very cuddly and loving. This continued for the first couple years... Cuddly, would sit on my finger for hours and preen, loved talking, baths in the sink, new people and things, etc. He is roughly 3 years old now, and about 6 months ago he suddenly started HATING me. I can't go near him without being attacked. He will tolerate my husband, but doesn't really bite him. Additionally, I don't think he is talking as much, and he doesn't really like sink baths any more. He also seems more timid around new things and people. I don't know if something happened or if this is puberty, or this is just him as an adult bird? I don't know if I need to change something about his environment to make him happier, or if this is just how he will be now? I read a post on here about how hand fed babies are unpredictable and may not like you any more when they grow up and I'm scared that's what has happened. Obviously I just want to know what is going on so I can make sure he's happy, whatever that means. Any advice appreciated.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Usually the change happens around the time of puberty, which for green cheeks is about 18 months to 2 years.

Before immediately assuming hormones, I would first think back - any changes around that time period? Change in schedule, hair style, new additions to the house (pets, objects), change in his cage location, etc? The smallest thing could translate to big changes for him.

And any sudden change in behavior also warrants a vet visit. Sometimes animals when they don't feel well or are in pain react in fear, which may look like aggression.

bluebird15

Checking out the neighborhood
Sorry I forgot to say he's a blue crown conure. Nothing really changed that we could think of, other than my husband works from home now, but he has for the last 2 years and the behavior changed about 6-8 months ago so I'm not sure.

He has been to the vet since then, but not a dedicated avian vet. I could try taking him to a better vet.