• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Still Closed, Roof Problems

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
Well, heck when I closed on Dec. 9th for my time off for Christmas closure all was okay on the 9th then on Sunday early morning of the 11th, we had very strong winds and then rain with hubby waking me up at 5:30 am saying the kitchen floor was covered in water. Needless to say, it took all the roofing off down to the bare plywood on the south side of the house. So we had lots of leaks all around. Finally after 4 days or so the roofer was able to come here and got it tarped. We still have leakage. They may start on the roof in the next couple of days if weather holds. I am bummed out that the roof thing happened, it is going to cost a bundle.

Anyway, I had planned originally to open on Jan. 9th but now I have it for Jan. 16th. I have all my toy things covered under a couple pieces of 9' x 12' plastic in the room. In the mean time I've been working on prepping stainless steel parts that need cut, drilled and what not so they are ready for toy building. I still want to get more stainless metal finished before opening up.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Sorry.

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
I hope you can get those leaks fixed :fingerscrossed:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Oh man that's such a bummer!! Hopefully they get you taken care of soon.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Sucks when you get a sudden surprise like that, life is going nicely according to plan and now you have to deal with replacing the roof before everything gets destroyed. Hopefully your home insurance will cover it.
I have a window under the dormer that when the rain hits just right it overcomes the roof flashing and drips down the siding and into the window frame inside. The house flipper knew nobody would look there and all the wood trim close to the shingles is rotten helping to let the water in.
I sealed up all the exposed flashing and redid some of if but it snowed recently and backed up into the window that has never leaked. It hasn't leaked since the snow melted but part of owning a house. I need to replace the rotten trim and look at all the flashing once I get it exposed but it doesn't leak bad enough to deal with it right now. There's even a huge piece of the original trim under the house they left.
Good luck and I hope it gets fixex soon and doesn't cause a lot of collateral damage.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh that sucks, I’m so sorry that happened to you guys. I hope they can start the roof soon!

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Hopefully the roof doesn't take too long and too much money for you.
Can you claim it on your home insurance?
It might not be so expensive then....just a thought.
I hope you can get everything up and running soon. :)

Jan

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
Our home insurance covers some but not anywhere near of what it is going to cost. That does not include inside damage and will have to put in a supplement claim for that. The good news is, the roofer crew came out today and made a big head way, got old shingles tore off and have the under lament on mostly and we are having all new fascia boards on the entire perimeter of the roof. So that is another added expense. We do not have to replace all the fascia boards but many would need replaced sooner than later so we opted to just have all all new wood. Our house will be 41 years old come this May. We also will have better shingles than our other ones and will also with stand a higher wind.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Yayyyyyy!!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Gosh, so sorry to hear about your damages Jan. I don’t think a lot of people in our area plan on socking away extra money to pay deductibles here when we have hurricane damages. Best I can remember we would need not less than 10 grand or more if we got hit. I’m so used to being in medical debt. I’ve been paying monthly for my physical therapy from two years ago when I broke my hip. I’ll be so glad to say goodbye to that payment!!!

Jan

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
Yes right, like earth quake insurance is at least $15 grand, we don't have that coverage and I am sure hurricanes and such hold high deductibles. We currently have a $1,000 deductible. We are also in a high risk fire area so lets hope that never happens! Fortunately, we have been saving up to do our roof as we knew it has gone up considerably to reroof, we just thought we could hold out longer but the wind and rain had to tell us, no it is now!!!

We truly wanted to have a metal rook put on instead of shingles but we were told just for the metal itself would be $24k before labor is figured in. So that was a no-go for us suddenly. If we were younger, we'd went for it.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You need goats.

They're supposed to be a fire preventive of sorts....

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
There was an article about a presidential museum in California that escaped a fire and it was mentioned that a group of goats had kept the brush down to a minimum and so..... safe from a wild fire.

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Ann
Well, heck when I closed on Dec. 9th for my time off for Christmas closure all was okay on the 9th then on Sunday early morning of the 11th, we had very strong winds and then rain with hubby waking me up at 5:30 am saying the kitchen floor was covered in water. Needless to say, it took all the roofing off down to the bare plywood on the south side of the house. So we had lots of leaks all around. Finally after 4 days or so the roofer was able to come here and got it tarped. We still have leakage. They may start on the roof in the next couple of days if weather holds. I am bummed out that the roof thing happened, it is going to cost a bundle.

Anyway, I had planned originally to open on Jan. 9th but now I have it for Jan. 16th. I have all my toy things covered under a couple pieces of 9' x 12' plastic in the room. In the mean time I've been working on prepping stainless steel parts that need cut, drilled and what not so they are ready for toy building. I still want to get more stainless metal finished before opening up.
I am so sorry. The weather has been horrible with more rain on the way.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Goats are adorable! Sounds like a great excuse to get some - you'd never have to mow either.

Jan

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
I thought I would give a little update on our roof .... it has been completely reroofed and looks great!! Good news is it has been raining all day and NO LEAKS inside the house!!! :) :bliss: Bad news is, it was super expensive but with any luck we will hopefully be set for the rest of our lives with our roof not leaking if nothing out of the ordinary happens!

I will be reopened come Monday on my site! It's been a long vacation time off with a lot if disappointment due to the roof.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m sorry that happened and what awful timing, but it’s good that now have can peace of mind! Roofs are so crazy expensive. Stay dry, I think soon the sun will be coming out!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Oh I'm glad you are dry!! :heart2: