• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Sticky substance inside beak??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiihay

Meeting neighbors
I have a 3 month old Meyers parrot that I just brought home yesterday. Tonight I noticed that when he opened his beak I saw... what I can only describe as a bubble in the back of his throat? Then whenever he nibbles on my finger I feel this strange... I guess sticky substance/wetness left on my finger.

He was rather lethargic when I left him on the playstand not doing much but fluffing (though I think it was a little cold for him) and eating dried papaya or pineapple but whenever someone comes by he perks right up with little "cheeps" and eagerness to get held. When I put him in his cage he plays with his toys and eats his pellets and drinks too. Stools are solid too (apart from the occasional wet one that I think is caused by him getting spooked, he's a pansy and seems to scare rather easily if he's not on someone >.> )

Can anyone help me understand what this might be?

Last edited:

piercesdesigns

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
I would guess a yeast infection.

Symptoms:

In unfeathered babies, a Candida-infected crop will show signs of cheese-like lesions. When Candida invades the crop, a grayish-white layer of pseudo membrane covers the crop lining. The often ulcerated and inflamed wall will be thickened and opaque, making the crop puffy and abnormal looking.
If the mouth and beak are infected, you may notice bad breath and raised areas with thick clear or white material in the mouth.
Infections of the beak often occur where the upper and lower beaks meet. Infections of the crop may cause regurgitation, anorexia; delayed crop emptying; swollen or bloated, mucus-filled crop, and possible crop impaction.
If the digestive tract is impacted, the symptoms range from depression, loss of appetite, weight loss, vomiting, and diarrhea. In the respiratory tract, Candida may cause nasal discharge, a change in the voice, difficulty breathing, rapid breathing and inability to exercise.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Possibly saliva... but if he hasn't been to an a-vet yet for fecal work and blood panels then it's a good time to do it now! Getting a health checkup now can help ensure a healthy start to his future life!

Blazeybird

Real Name
Houston
Possibly saliva... but if he hasn't been to an a-vet yet for fecal work and blood panels then it's a good time to do it now! Getting a health checkup now can help ensure a healthy start to his future life!
:iagree:

If you need help locating an Avian Vet near you, you can visit this website http://www.aav.org/search/index.php or ask us and im sure we can help :)

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I would guess a yeast infection.

Symptoms:

In unfeathered babies, a Candida-infected crop will show signs of cheese-like lesions. When Candida invades the crop, a grayish-white layer of pseudo membrane covers the crop lining. The often ulcerated and inflamed wall will be thickened and opaque, making the crop puffy and abnormal looking.
If the mouth and beak are infected, you may notice bad breath and raised areas with thick clear or white material in the mouth.
Infections of the beak often occur where the upper and lower beaks meet. Infections of the crop may cause regurgitation, anorexia; delayed crop emptying; swollen or bloated, mucus-filled crop, and possible crop impaction.
If the digestive tract is impacted, the symptoms range from depression, loss of appetite, weight loss, vomiting, and diarrhea. In the respiratory tract, Candida may cause nasal discharge, a change in the voice, difficulty breathing, rapid breathing and inability to exercise.
That sounds like it

If he is fluffed up, I would take him first thing in the morning. Keep him warm and quiet. The stress of the new home could make it much worse than it was at his other home.

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
If it is a simple yeast/fungal infection, it can easily be knocked off/out by a contact yeast killer like Nystatin. Safe & inexpensive. Need a vet to prescribe it unless you have a contact who can get ya some.

If the yeast/fungal infection has spread to internal organs, etc., then you need a systemic antifungal like Fluconazole/Diflucan. Best to have your Avian Vet administer same. Best to get right on it as it can spread quickly and become fatal.

May not be a fungal/yeast infection however, so still best to have your A.V. check it out asap. Good luck to you and your little Meyers.

Kiihay

Meeting neighbors
Thank you all for the speedy responses :3 Just knowing what it possibly could be makes me feel a lot better.

A friend of mine stopped by the bird store that I got him at (they are very nice people and we go in all the time and are friends with them) and talked to the owner who is very knowledgeable. They checked the other baby from the breeder and she had the same thing going on with her and they're best guess was that it was saliva like monica said and that they are just producing a bit more since they are still young and had just been weaned.

I do plan on taking him into the vet though when I can and get everything squared away so I don't have to be as paranoid. :3 So again, thank you all~

Tinytoez

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tammy
That sounds like the start of what Indy had when he was ill, it got worse, he becalme very lethargic and hid under my shirt for 3 hours asleep, he ended up on antibiotics and had to stay in the vets for 3 days, please take your Meyers to the vets, dont wait, it may be nothing, but you may have a sick bird.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Birds have very little saliva, so that is not a satisfactory answer. Where are you located. city, state or country so we can help you find a avian vet. What your discribing is not normal.

Ginger

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Also birds decline very quickly so you really do need to get this checked out ASAP so that your bird doesnt get sicker. Please let us know if you need help finding an avian vet.

dorn27

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kristi
He needs to go to the vet. A petstore clerk, is trying to talk the symptoms down so that you do not return the bird.

Saliva of that amount is not normal, and a fluffy bird paired with that indicates something is REALLy wrong. Do not wait. Find an avian vet (not just one who treats birds) and get in it now.

If you wait, it will be a large bill from overnight stays, or a dead bird.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Not to play down a potential problem, but I have heard of cockatoos with spit wads and just generally playing around with saliva in their mouth.

The petstore should have some sort of health guarantee, and it's best to take the bird in to an a-vet during this health guarantee.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
He needs to go to the vet. A petstore clerk, is trying to talk the symptoms down so that you do not return the bird.
Absolutely. Don't be taking advice from petstore employees. Most if not all of them are not very good sources of accurate information. Take the advice of your vet whenever in doubt.

crzybrdldy

Real Name
Patty
A fluffed and lethargic bird, is a sick bird, you need to heed the advice that has been given to you and find a certified avian vet. Please remember not all vets treat birds.

You asked for help accept it.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.