• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Sticky fly traps & tiels

Status
Not open for further replies.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
We had two spiral fly traps strategically located in corners the birds never fly to until this evening when a yard maintenance guy spooked everyone and the two tiel girls, Peeps & Indie flew straight into each one. Indie is worse off than Peeps as she flew in face first but I have been able to free both of them from the paper. That said, both are horrible sticky messes and the only thing I can remember is that I've read about this and peanut butter was used. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

Regular vet couldn't be reached, emergency vet is outwith a sick child and the third backup won't be in until tomorrow, plus son has car and is in the city. Does anyone have any suggestions? Help!:omg:

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor babies! Can you get some Dawn dishwashing soap? Maybe someone else has some ideas.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Oh dear, you can try peanut butter, then maybe dawn dishwashing soap. Get that nasty stuff off ASAP. even if you have to trim the feathers with tiny scissors. I came home to one of my tiels caught in a sticky trap I had under the microwave, how he did it Ill never figure out. I had to have the vet cut it off him and his poor wing was droopy for a long time but he recovered...no more stickies for me. Good luck and :hug8:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
I tried the Dawn dishwashing soap on my sticky hands and it didn't do anything, the peanut butter, however, worked wonderss and as far as I know peanut butter isn't dangerous to birds?

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
No it is not. Peanut oil either. But you will need the Dawn for afterwards.

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
I was going to suggest the oil...a mouse was caught in a sticky trap where my niece works and that is what she used to free him. I hope your babies will be ok....and please, toss all sticky traps.;)

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Apply the vegetable oil to the area affected by the glue, and allow it to sit for several minutes. The oil helps break down the compounds in the glue.

Rub off the oil with the rag, which will remove the glue in the process.

Repeat Steps 1 and 2 until all of the glue has been removed.

Then Clean the bird with dawn soapy water AND rinse well and softly dry with a towel and if you have a hair dryer that doestn' have teflon in it...use that on low to finish the drying of the bird.

Last edited:

Sharpie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
One thing that can be done is to keep sticky traps inside those tiny 12x8" 'finch cages' most pet stores sell, terrible for birds, but great for protecting things FROM birds. It keeps the traps safely in and the birds OUT! I had to do something like this because NOT having fly traps out was NOT an option at the time. You can put plants in them too to keep them safe from the feathered flock and vice versa.

I hope your fids are un-stickied without too much trouble! :hug8:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Well the penut butter and Dawn definitely does work though neither of the girls appreciated it. Peeps, the lutino, came out much better than Indie, the cinnamon pearl. Peeps had the thng stuck mainly to her tail feathers which were fairly easy to untangle with much complaining from Peeps. Indie on the other hand, had flown into it face first, crest and all, and had got it stuck across her back so there was no easy way out for her. I ended up holding her against my chest wrapped in a hand towel until almos 11-12 last night to make sure she was going to be okay and was dry. She is not a happy camper this morning and wants nothing to do with me since her lower back is pretty much featherless. She won't let me hold her but keeps trying to sit as close to me as she can without touching me.

Needless to say, there aren't any sticky fly traps out so we're back to the drawing board for a safe, non-toxic way to get rid of all the darn seed moths which we seem to have an infestation of.Trying to watch t.v. once the lights are out after we've put the birds to bed is practically impossible because it ends up looking like we're trying to watch through an aerial battle as all the moths come out.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
You can get pheromone seed/flour moth traps from most drug stores, hardware stores or supermarkets. They work great. I also hang sticky trap ribbons INSIDE small cages if I need to so the birds cannot get to the sticky traps.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I am so glad that your birdies are ok.....I do like the suggestion of putting the traps inside a cage so the tiels cannot get to it.......one of the worst nightmares I ever read on any board was a lady whose tiel got trapped in a fly trap...he eventually ended up d ying..

ILoveTiels

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amanda T
....and please, toss all sticky traps.;)
you could also get a plastic version of the chicken wire to staple to the wall around the stickies. that way if anyone flies towards them again they will be protected, be able to perch there, and the flies can still fly thru the holes.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Take your vacuum clearer and start sucking them up off the ceilings/flying etc...it kills them....Putting your seeds in the freezer first will also kill off the larva....
:hug8:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
I use the triangular seed moth traps here - they make a little tent so all the sticky surface is inside - there is a little square with moth pheromones in it that attracts them

they work really well for the seed moths - in addition to the vacuuming and freezing that has been mentioned

Last edited:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Keep the moth traps with the sticky stuff inside a cage as well. I had a lovebird stick his head in one and get it stuck on his head. While removing the trap and getting the sticky off his head, Gayfeather had a heart attack and died.

Status
Not open for further replies.