• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sticking paper in tail feathers and Etc...

Tweetypie_

Moving in
Real Name
Serena
Hi I have a lovebird named Tweety and I am not sure if he is a boy or a girl or what type of lovebird he is please tell me. And also he has this behavior of stuffing paper or cardboard in his feathers,but not strips like the internet more like rolled up balls of messy paper Please tell me if it's normal or If should do something. He/She also recently had this mark on his beak, what should I do.

Pics below

Attachments

Tweetypie_

Moving in
Real Name
Serena
He also has red eyes and yellow and white feathers so I think he is a Lutino lovie does that change the behavior from normal love birds

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
That is a very common behavior in peach-faced lovebirds. That is how they carry nesting material. As for mutations, you have an opaline creamino peach-faced lovebird. Creamino is a combination of the lutino gene and a blue series gene. With regards to the gender, you most likely have a female as both lutino and opaline are sex-linked mutations in peach-faced lovebirds. It is definitely possible that you have a male, but it is much more likely that you have a female.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
he has this behavior of stuffing paper or cardboard in his feathers,but not strips like the internet more like rolled up balls of messy paper
That could be down to age or experience. My lovies did that when younger before they learned to shred strips.

Your bird is beautiful :)

malibu

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maddie
I think its generally a female thing. Mine isn't DNA'd but im sure shes a female bc mine looks like a spitting image of yours and lutino/creamino is sex-linked

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
Kamara loved shredding paper but she never stuck it in her tail feathers to carry it around. She was a confirmed female.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Kamara loved shredding paper but she never stuck it in her tail feathers to carry it around. She was a confirmed female.
This is Roseicollis specific. Fischeri and Personatus do not do this.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
This is Roseicollis specific. Fischeri and Personatus do not do this.
To be a little more clear, the "eye-ring" species are more likely to carry the nesting material in their beaks rather than in the rump like the peachfaced lovebirds.

Although it is more of a "female" thing, males can do it as well... although *generally* not as good as a hen! ;)

Tweetypie_

Moving in
Real Name
Serena
I found out Tweety is a female a few months ago because she laid 3 eggs!! I wasn't quite sure what to do with the eggs (I know it's not fertile because we only have one lovie) so I gave her some nesting material to play with at first she didn't bother with her eggs then whenever she saw her eggs she would run and scream at them, I just slowly removed the eggs one by one without her noticing throughout the week, the second time she had eggs I removed them and left one because this time she was sitting on the egg a week later I found the egg on the floor of the cage broke open so I was wondering if they break their eggs open after a while to check for a chick and what I should do with the eggs next time she lays.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I found out Tweety is a female a few months ago because she laid 3 eggs!! I wasn't quite sure what to do with the eggs (I know it's not fertile because we only have one lovie) so I gave her some nesting material to play with at first she didn't bother with her eggs then whenever she saw her eggs she would run and scream at them, I just slowly removed the eggs one by one without her noticing throughout the week, the second time she had eggs I removed them and left one because this time she was sitting on the egg a week later I found the egg on the floor of the cage broke open so I was wondering if they break their eggs open after a while to check for a chick and what I should do with the eggs next time she lays.
I posted a reply on your thread :)

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Good Luck!

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Well behavior doesn’t mean male or female lol Baylee is confirmed female and she doesn’t place the paper strip in her body but does carry them on her beak I have since sometime ago suspected she is an hybrid?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Well behavior doesn’t mean male or female lol Baylee is confirmed female and she doesn’t place the paper strip in her body but does carry them on her beak I have since sometime ago suspected she is an hybrid?
Maybe Baylee is special??? :roflmao: I've had some of those birds, too! Birds that did things that they shouldn't have done.... I once had an egg laying hen.... who only laid eggs when she was sick at the end of her life. Another hen that wolf whistled. Towards the end of her life, she was pretty sick as well... and still produced an egg! Vet didn't believe me that she was with egg... vet was shocked! Found the egg! (she hadn't laid it... was likely too weak to do so)

Generally speaking, females are better at tucking nesting material in their rump feathers than males. Males may try, but *usually* they are clumsy about it, don't do it well and give up. That doesn't mean that a male *can't* learn how to properly tuck nesting material in their rumps! Just that, overall, females are better at doing it. :)

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Maybe Baylee is special??? :roflmao: I've had some of those birds, too! Birds that did things that they shouldn't have done.... I once had an egg laying hen.... who only laid eggs when she was sick at the end of her life. Another hen that wolf whistled. Towards the end of her life, she was pretty sick as well... and still produced an egg! Vet didn't believe me that she was with egg... vet was shocked! Found the egg! (she hadn't laid it... was likely too weak to do so)

Generally speaking, females are better at tucking nesting material in their rump feathers than males. Males may try, but *usually* they are clumsy about it, don't do it well and give up. That doesn't mean that a male *can't* learn how to properly tuck nesting material in their rumps! Just that, overall, females are better at doing it. :)
Lol Baylee must be special she loves shredding paper but she doesn’t tuck it like other females lol she is confirmed female as she got egg bound 8 years ago.