• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Stepping up?

Blueboi

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
first of all I want to apologize for monopolizing this board with so many questions lol..
So, I think im changing his name to Marlowe. I had set on quasar before getting him, but after getting him, it didn't seem to fit..
So, he steps up really well if he's on a branch or perch, but if he's on his little net thingmabob, or his rope and wood hanging ladder, he won't step up unless really coerced.
I know these he considers maybe his sleeping places. Should I not try and have him step up when he's on these places or keep trying when he's on them?
I tried clicker training, but he so far doesn't seem interested in treats or treat seeds.

clarousel

Rollerblading along the road
Hello! Marlowe and Quasar are both really cute names :) I haven't been following your other threads so forgive me if I'm asking similar questions others have asked.

It's best not to coerce him since it could lead to aggression/bites and generally leads to both sidss being frustrated. Are the 3 items you mentioned swingy items? Are they in or outside the cage? It's good that he steps up! Perhaps you could try leading him from where he doesn't want to step up from to another place he more willing to. If he's not in danger in those spots where you have to get him away from immediately, I don't think it's necessary to get him to step up on command from those items. Sometimes birds just wanna do their own thing :)

Blueboi

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Hello! Marlowe and Quasar are both really cute names :) I haven't been following your other threads so forgive me if I'm asking similar questions others have asked.

It's best not to coerce him since it could lead to aggression/bites and generally leads to both sidss being frustrated. Are the 3 items you mentioned swingy items? Are they in or outside the cage? It's good that he steps up! Perhaps you could try leading him from where he doesn't want to step up from to another place he more willing to. If he's not in danger in those spots where you have to get him away from immediately, I don't think it's necessary to get him to step up on command from those items. Sometimes birds just wanna do their own thing :)
Thanks.. 20200929_101915.jpg
They are swingy items...and they are both in the cage. He seems to really like sleeping on the swing ladder..
I'm posting a pic.. the ladder is in the foreground, and the net is suspended by the colorful plastic chains..

elitys

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Elise
When Poppy is in her cage (given there's no emergency) I just respect her space. I almost never reach in to get her. I simply open the door and put my finger against it, and if she wants to come to me she will. Personally, I treat my bird's cage like I would want my parents to treat my bedroom when I was younger. It's my space, and I'll come out and be with you on my terms.

Poppy rarely doesn't want to come out and be with me when I offer though, so this system works pretty well for us. I'm not sure if it would be the right thing for you, but I find that when I extend respect to her space, our relationship seems to be stronger and more trusting overall.

I don't think forcing them out of their "room" really works in the long run as far as relationship building; I know I never liked it very much when my parents did that to me. I try to allow Poppy a choice in as many situations as I can, or at least guide her to also want to make the choice I want her to make with rewards and such. So, if Poppy tells me she wants to stay in her room or wants to keep playing with this toy or standing on this perch, then I respect that and leave her be (as long as there's no danger involved of course).

Blueboi

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
When Poppy is in her cage (given there's no emergency) I just respect her space. I almost never reach in to get her. I simply open the door and put my finger against it, and if she wants to come to me she will. Personally, I treat my bird's cage like I would want my parents to treat my bedroom when I was younger. It's my space, and I'll come out and be with you on my terms.

Poppy rarely doesn't want to come out and be with me when I offer though, so this system works pretty well for us. I'm not sure if it would be the right thing for you, but I find that when I extend respect to her space, our relationship seems to be stronger and more trusting overall.

I don't think forcing them out of their "room" really works in the long run as far as relationship building; I know I never liked it very much when my parents did that to me. I try to allow Poppy a choice in as many situations as I can, or at least guide her to also want to make the choice I want her to make with rewards and such. So, if Poppy tells me she wants to stay in her room or wants to keep playing with this toy or standing on this perch, then I respect that and leave her be (as long as there's no danger involved of course).
Thanks..that all makes a lot of sense. I just feel that after working, that maybe he needs to come out..i guess its only been a few days (Saturday night) since I've had him, so there's time..
When I got off today at 6 he seems interested, but not enough to come off of his net. Maybe he's mad I was working...he made a kind of lunging action when I got my hsnd near him.. hes probably starting the cage aggresion thing ..:sinkng:

elitys

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Elise
Thanks..that all makes a lot of sense. I just feel that after working, that maybe he needs to come out..i guess its only been a few days (Saturday night) since I've had him, so there's time..
When I got off today at 6 he seems interested, but not enough to come off of his net. Maybe he's mad I was working...he made a kind of lunging action when I got my hsnd near him.. hes probably starting the cage aggresion thing ..:sinkng:
Yeah, I guess I have heard of quakers being more prone to cage aggressive behavior. I don't have personal experience with them to really give species specific advice on the best way to approach it.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He's only been with you for a few days, so lots of things are still new and scary to him. He doesn't know you yet, or know that you're friendly so it's natural for him to not want to step up. It took my girl a month before I could even give her a headscratch, so I think you're doing well! Just be near him, offer him treats and don't expect anything from him. Just go at his pace and allow him to choose. If he doesn't feel confident coming out of his cage, that's fine - he doesn't have to. Nothing bad will happen if he doesn't come out of the cage when you think he should :)

Similarly, I don't think you're seeing cage territoriality yet. The cage is his familiar space so he's probably feeling a bit anxious about coming out of it or your hands being in it.

Blueboi

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
He's only been with you for a few days, so lots of things are still new and scary to him. He doesn't know you yet, or know that you're friendly so it's natural for him to not want to step up. It took my girl a month before I could even give her a headscratch, so I think you're doing well! Just be near him, offer him treats and don't expect anything from him. Just go at his pace and allow him to choose. If he doesn't feel confident coming out of his cage, that's fine - he doesn't have to. Nothing bad will happen if he doesn't come out of the cage when you think he should :)

Similarly, I don't think you're seeing cage territoriality yet. The cage is his familiar space so he's probably feeling a bit anxious about coming out of it or your hands being in it.
Thank you for that..
I guess before I got him people said it wasn't a good idea if I was away 8 hours a day, and to be sure he was out with me when I was here.
So I feel like I have to cram my missing time with him all at once, and have him out. I'm going to take a breath lol and let him go at his pace.