• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Stepping up

Goffinsmamma

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Madison
This is more curiosity rather than anything I need help with. Why do birds refuse to step up but then act fine off their perch/cage? When we noticed this with Kiwi I thought it strange because she loves being out to, say sit on the couch and watch X-Files together (she's like a little Scully, I'm more of a Mulder) but getting her on my hand is such a battle! We pretend bite (biting my jewelry is a way she tells me "I'm angry but dont want to hurt you"), try to run and hide, or just crawl back in the cage altogether! But once shes up shes happy as a clam! I've noticed on here that this is not uncommon and if anyone knows a good way to remedy this I'd love to hear it, but I'm more interested in the why behind the what. If she likes being on her cage, AND likes being out, why is the transition so hard?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Why do birds refuse to step up
Because they are not machines and have their own will.

biting my jewelry is a way she tells me "I'm angry but dont want to hurt you"), try to run and hide, or just crawl back in the cage altogether
She is telling you in so many ways that she didn't want that and you don't understand?
She will bite you, trust me, she has giving you so many warnings now and because you don't listen she will give up being a sweet girl.

Earlier today I answer the same question, you can read it here: How to Teach Step Up | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Goffinsmamma

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Madison
Because they are not machines and have their own will.

She is telling you in so many ways that she didn't want that and you don't understand?
She will bite you, trust me, she has giving you so many warnings now and because you don't listen she will give up being a sweet girl.

Earlier today I answer the same question, you can read it here: How to Teach Step Up | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
I do and dont agree. When she really doesnt want up she lets me know, usually when she goes in her cage that's my cue that shes not in the mood, but the other things like running laps around the top of her cage or biting mmy jewelry are almost a game for her. I wear a lot of rings and bracelets and usually she will chew on those when I offer my hand before stepping up. Like I said in the rest of my post, she LOVES being up, just gives me an attitude when I offer my hand. It's like a teenager rolling her eyes.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
she LOVES being up, just gives me an attitude when I offer my hand. It's like a teenager rolling her eyes.
But that is not the same thing. Ones she is up she is in your command. But before she still has her own will.
It can be that she loves to being up, and also that she is testing you, but my answer will still be same, a step up isn't important.
but the other things like running laps around the top of her cage or biting mmy jewelry are almost a game for her.
I did miss that.
That can be part that she is anguish, she want's to be with you, but she don't trust you yet.

For this any many other reasons I will never demand a step up, because it is demanding. My girls comes to me, and I will always know that they are doing that of their own free will.
I wear a lot of rings and bracelets and usually she will chew on those when I offer my hand before stepping up.
That is a typical, I don't want that. They pretend that something else is more important and hope that we forgot what we wanted.