• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Step Up

Aureoille

Moving in
Hi all, I'm new to birds and recently got my baby boy a few weeks ago I wanted to get him reliably stepping up before I got him a friend and so far he's doing amazing but it turns out he'll only step up if he knows I have millet on me. Any advice on how to phase it out of training?

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Hi all, I'm new to birds and recently got my baby boy a few weeks ago I wanted to get him reliably stepping up before I got him a friend and so far he's doing amazing but it turns out he'll only step up if he knows I have millet on me. Any advice on how to phase it out of training?
Extend the amount of step ups he does before getting a treat. Instead of one step up, get another perch, and have him step up another time before getting a reward. Gradually increase it. Also, if you find he doesn't step up immediately, wait a minute and try again.

Aureoille

Moving in
Extend the amount of step ups he does before getting a treat. Instead of one step up, get another perch, and have him step up another time before getting a reward. Gradually increase it. Also, if you find he doesn't step up immediately, wait a minute and try again.
Thank you! Will definitely give this a shot