• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Step up trouble

Animosity

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi, I have an adorable bird who I am having trouble training to step up. I’ve worked hard on taming him and now he LOVES hands and constantly wants attention and scratches.....the problem is I hadn’t yet taught him step up and when put my arm/hand anywhere near him he presents himself and if I don’t scratch him he will shove him head under my arm/hand and rub...he is target trained but will do the same thing even when a target is in place....I’ve tried using a perch and he still refuses. Any advice would be much appreciated. :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If he loves scritches, maybe use the scritches to teach him to step up?

Do this by having one hand flat on whatever surface your bird is on. Give your bird a scritch, then pull that hand back just a tad. Have your bird walk a little towards you to get more scritches. Keep repeating this until your bird "steps up" on your step up hand! Once he does, lots and lots of scritches! Repeat.

Animosity

Checking out the neighborhood
Thank you soo much. I combined this with his target training and finally managed to get him to step on my arm while it’s flat against the floor, you are amazing. :)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Awesome!!!! Sometimes we are asking too much too soon without realizing it, and we just need to change how we approach a situation to figure it out! :) Good job! :D