• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Step up training/problems

HobanWash

Moving in
Real Name
Amanda Elizabeth
Hello!

I have a quaker baby (about 11 weeks old) and I'm trying to teach him step up. He doesn't seem very food motivated though. I've tried seeds, millet, toys, fruit, veggies... He doesn't seem to have anything that motivates him as a reward. How do I train him to step up without having a known motivator?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
How long have you had him? He might need more time. You can also try to get him to step up onto a perch instead of your hand.

HobanWash

Moving in
Real Name
Amanda Elizabeth
How long have you had him? He might need more time. You can also try to get him to step up onto a perch instead of your hand.
It's been right around a week I think. If I hold my hand flat, he'll sometimes (but not nearly always, or even most of the time). step onto my flat hand. I've tried perches a few times, and he doesn't really step onto those either. I can't tell if it's lack of confidence or overall stubbornness.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I would give him more time. :) A week is a very short period of time. Just get him used to your voice and presence for now. Give him treats and if he won't take them, put them in a bowl near or on his cage that he can get it. Let him know treats come from you - it doesn't need to be earned yet :)