• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Steam Cleaners

lovebirds

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I'm going to purchase a steam cleaner, hopefully this weekend but I have a few questions regarding which model I should get.
Do I need to contact the manufacturer to see if the model has any materials that could be harmful to the birds, or isn't that an issue with steam cleaners and I can just get whichever looks best?

I've also never used one and would like to know if I can clean anything with it (the plastic toys inside the cage and the wooden perches, etc)?
Is it ok to keep the bird in the room when I'm cleaning or should I place them in another room (Is the steam dangerous for them to breathe)?

hawkygal

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Be aware if you are steam cleaning something like a floor in a house the steam cleaner can release any chemicals that were used to clean the floor in the past much higher concentrations, our vet told us of his friend who was also a vet who lost his entire flock at once from a steam cleaner releasing stuff that had been used a long time ago on his floors all at once. It was a sad story, two birds reacted immediately and he took them to our vet, not making the connection. To what caused there distress, and they were lost, when he came home the rest of his birds were all lost. It was so sad :crycry:

That's all I've heard about steam cleaners so I've never used one.

Chantilly Lace

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
I had one for a few days, and it just never worked for me. I gave up and bought a pressure washer. It does the job much easier, and I really wanted it for was to clean grates. The steam cleaner didn't seem to get hot enough, and it kind of scared me!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Macawnutz Sarah bought one at a very good price - I can't remember the brand. I've had one and used it for years and love it. You can clean everything with it, you just have to pay attention to the pressure you have it turned to and how close to whatever you are cleaning. The one piece of advice I would give you is to get a steamer with a SS tank.

I did have one bad experience. They are wonderful for cleaning windows, but I had a window that a sprinkler had been hitting and had lots of lime on it. I held the steamer on the window too long and cracked the window.

lovebirds

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Thank you for your comments.
I ended up purchasing a Polti steamer model called "x steam" Polti - Steam Cleaning - Vaporetto - XSteam

We first tried it at the balcony and there was a bit of a plastic odor, so my mum went outside to clean her car, hopefully next time we use it the "new" smell won't be noticeable.

hawkygal, I'm so sorry about what happened to your vet's friend. That awful indeed.
We haven't been using chemicals lately, only f10 (bird safe) and acv. I also feel safer taking the birds to another room when I use it in theirs.
Everyone I've asked about steam cleaners told me it was wonderful for cleaning houses with birds because you wouldn't need any other chemicals.

Chantilly Lace, I did consider a pressure washer but it wouldn't work for us since we live in an apartment and can't take the cages outside.

Hankmacaw, thankfully the model I purchased has an SS tank (boiler material?).
Do you use yours with the birds in the room? Did yours used to have a "plastic" smell when you first used it?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Hankmacaw, thankfully the model I purchased has an SS tank (boiler material?).
Do you use yours with the birds in the room? Did yours used to have a "plastic" smell when you first used it?
Yes, I have always left the birds in the room, but I've never been one to use strong cleaners. No, mine didn't have any smell when I first used it, but the case is metal in addition to the SS tank. Just think you will never have to scrub an oven again.

lovebirds

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I'm definitely happy with it, as long as it doesn't hurt the birds!
Do you think the plastic smell might cause harm? I never thought of that.. the cases on most models were plastic though..

lovebirds

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I tried it again today and I think I may have to return it. It smells a lot like plastic :waitsws:

ZoeyFredrik

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nik
Just saw this thread. My steamer smelled a lot like plastic at first. I filled it up and took it outside. When it was all heated, I put the spray lock on and put it where it wouldn't harm anything and turned it on. After that long discharge the smell faded, I could barely smell it the next time I used it. Now it has no odor at all.

Maybe this might help?

lovebirds

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I had a family member who used it before to clean her car windows and seats. Today we used it to clean one room.
How long did you use it before the smell faded?

It worries me that the hose and brushes are made of plastic in a cleaner that uses heat, is yours made of plastic too?

ZoeyFredrik

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nik
Yes, mine does have the plastic hose and parts. I believe the only metal is the container that boils the water. I remember getting it and thinking "Oh no, this smells!" But after I ran all that steam through, it seemed to help. I think I used it outside the first few uses as well, just in case. It did take a bit for the smell to go away, but eventually it did. I think it just takes a bit for the new plastic to stop smelling when it is heated up. What steamer do you have?

lovebirds

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I got the Polti "xsteam" model. I called them today and they said it's not normal and there might be something wrong with the unit, so we're going to return it today and bring a new one. I'll use it for at least an hour outside before bringing it inside and see if it still smells (a lot). Which one do you have? In case I need to find a new brand..

ZoeyFredrik

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nik
It is a Steamfast canister steamer, I got it on Amazon. I hope the new one works better! :)

BatmansWife

Meeting neighbors
I got the Polti "xsteam" model. I called them today and they said it's not normal and there might be something wrong with the unit, so we're going to return it today and bring a new one. I'll use it for at least an hour outside before bringing it inside and see if it still smells (a lot). Which one do you have? In case I need to find a new brand..
Hi I know it’s been 6 years but wondering how you ended up liking your Polti xsteam? Any problems using it around your birds? Thanks’

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Hi I know it’s been 6 years but wondering how you ended up liking your Polti xsteam? Any problems using it around your birds? Thanks’
The member you are asking has not been on the forum for quite some time so I doubt very much that you will get a response.