• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Steam bath

Alan J.

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Alan Jardine
Alex arrived with a fear of water, including being caught in the rain.

We have worked on introducing him bathing and a year and a half down the line, the little guy will bath in a stream in "his" park and in a plastic infants bath (but this is much too shallow and not wide enough).

I have tried to get Alex into the shower without success, but on Monday this week, he wanted to sit on the shower cubicle (the water was not running at the time).

I tentatively opened the tap to gauge his reaction (he is above the tap, so cannot get wet) and he seemed fine, so I let the hot water run to create steam and stood with him (on the outside).

Alex appeared quite happy to the extent that he did not want to come down from the cubicle (he has learn t to say "no" now).

All in all, Alex got a good five minutes of steam as the whole bathroom steamed up.

Yesterday and today (after his morning outing), Alex wanted to go onto the shower cubicle, so if the steam is helpful in softening his pin feathers and good for his skin and feathers, we have made a wonderful breakthrough.

I ran the hot water to maximize the steam, but would a mixture of hot and cold (as if he was actually showering under the water be as effective?

Also, he was panting a little - is he getting hot (which I imagine) or is the steam too hot and or getting into his lungs.

All advice will be wonderful - o, and I am now putting him on the bathroom door, so he is not near the hot water in case he slips or falls into he shawer, but the steam is still all over.

lupe

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe

Oh Alan, that's wonderful news!:joyful:! I personally shower everynight with Elvis. He perches on a large towel rack I have in the shower and he just loves it!..his feather quality has improved dramaticaly and his molts are a much easier process. I cannot stress how important a simple thing like a steam bath/shower is for parrots...not only for the feathers but for there respiratory system as well...I dont think you need advise, you just need to be praised..GOOD JOB!:highfive:
just keep doing what works.:).

Alan J.

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Alan Jardine
Many thanks Lupe - so good to hear that we are on the right path and thank you for the kind words.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
:highfive: :highfive:

Hrtofau2

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Summer
:highfive:
Great progress! We do the steam showers with Ducky. He does not like water either. But he joins us when we shower and while he does not get wet the steam does help in the feather department. Glad to know Alex is now enjoying the steam!
:heart:

SureAsNone

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Rashel
Awesome progress! :highfive: :dancing:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I agree that the moisture is very important. However, being in the steam too long can cause your bird to overheat. I would stop once he begins to show that he is hot.

Matt

Alan J.

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Alan Jardine
Many thanks everyone - very much appreciated.

SD1030

Strolling the yard
Sorry to revive this old thread—but just wanted to ask a quick question. Would the steam from the shower set to max temperature be too hot for a cockatiel, if I were to place him inside the shower on a perch? Note I’m not in the shower myself. Just as treatment for 5 minutes or so to help unclog his nostrils.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
If he was to fall from the perch, and hit the water, then he'd likely be badly burnt.
I'd not allow him there unsupervised.
I doubt the steam would be too hot though, have you been in the room with steam from your hottest temp?
If not, I'd run the hot water, step in to the bathroom and see how hot the steam is before allowing your bird there.

SD1030

Strolling the yard
If he was to fall from the perch, and hit the water, then he'd likely be badly burnt.
I'd not allow him there unsupervised.
I doubt the steam would be too hot though, have you been in the room with steam from your hottest temp?
If not, I'd run the hot water, step in to the bathroom and see how hot the steam is before allowing your bird there.
oh yes I’ll definitely supervise him. It basically feels like the heat from a sauna.

SD1030

Strolling the yard
When I run the steam with the hottest water setting - my cockatiel overheats after like 5-10 minutes so I end up opening the door to cool
him down. Is it acceptable to run the shower with water not that hot?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Is it acceptable to run the shower with water not that hot?
You will not get a response from Macawpower.

If your bird overheats in the steam, then don't have it that hot in there.