• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Staying cool and safe on beach

Sodapop&Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Taking my doggo camping on a lake this summer and wondering about some beach safety tips? Pretty worried/aware of overheating as he's a high energy mostly black GSD. Been looking up on signs to look for and planning to bring frozen treats, shade, etc. One thing I'm wondering about is if he's been swimming and then lying around - does he need to be dried off? I have a mental picture of the water in his fur heating up unbearably but idk if that actually happens. o_O I'm also planning on checking if his harness gets heavy when it's wet - if it's not too heavy can he wear that in the water or is that gonna make it way too warm for him? I'm at least planning to use it if we get out on the water with kayaks as I think that would be a more comfortable way to hold onto him or hoist him if he jumps off for a swim in the lake. Also, how do I know if the sand is too hot for him? Can I put him under a picnic table (on a towel or something) when hanging on the beach? This might be a more general question but I'm also wondering if he's gonna be smart enough to tell me if he has a problem with where he is/put himself in a better spot if he's overheating?

TIA for any tips if someone has experiences to share! Wanna make sure I'm well-prepared to make this a fun safe experience for everyone!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
For any dogs I’ve had that enjoyed swimming (not all did) I’d never bother drying them off in the summer after swimming- they’d get out of the water and shake and be dry soon enough, I can’t say I’ve ever bothered attempting to dry any of my dogs in the summer and I’ve never had any issues because I let them dry themselves off (shake then rub on the ground).
Decent shady areas to retreat to and fresh water available at all times are definitely a must in summer.
Not sure how hot it will be in the direct heat for you but for all the dogs I’ve known (working dogs and pets) the heat hasn’t caused a problem as long as water and shade are available and we regularly get week long temps of 47C where I live - the ground being too hot is something you can usually gauge simply by feeling it yourself and if it’s uncomfortable for you it’s likely the same for your dog.
If you watch dogs in the hot weather you can clearly see many of them trying to communicate that they’re uncomfortable- they’ll pull gently non stop to get into shade or they’ll be dancing and fidgety- if you’re on the ball and watch your dog it should give you all the clues you need to keep it comfortable.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Also, how do I know if the sand is too hot for him? Can I put him under a picnic table
If you have the money, you can buy one of those elevated lounger things, they have a shade over them. I´ve seen them arround. I´m sure Shawna has one for her dog Luke. Could probably find them in camping shops or on amazon.
@Mizzely

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes this is what we take if we're going to be anywhere a while. Takes about 10 minutes to set up, but breaks down to be able to be carried in a bag over your shoulder.

Img_2022_07_13_07_46_42.jpeg

Under a table on a towel would work too :)

Usually if the sand is too hot for you to be comfortable, it's likely too hot for them to be comfortable. They have pad balm you can put on their feet to help protect them. Mushers Secret is just one brand, I'm sure there are others. Paw wax is another name.

Harnesses are usually just fine in the water and it'll actually help keep him cool away from the water when wet :)

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’ve heard that you need to be careful, because the air above natural water is humid, so panting doesn’t work to cool off. Dogs have died. Just something to be aware of.