• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Started some clicker training with Dale last night...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Not sure how well it's going to work in the livingroom with all the distractions of the other birds though. But she was fast to pick it up! Very smart. We only got to the touching the stick part with me clicking but she did it a number of times and seemed to know what I wanted her to do.
She also took treats very nicely from my fingers. I was very afraid she was going to bite me:eek: but tried not to show it.

However I couldn't find a treat she really wanted! I tried seeds, she took them and dropped them. She took an almond but it takes to long to eat so I tried giving her a smaller piece and she just dropped it. We tried dried fruits, AO treats etc. She took them from me but didn't eat them.

Tonight I will try some nutriberries broken up.

I am not sure where to go with the clicker training though. How is it going to help with her trusting me and becoming more comfortable?

rocabird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
dawn
Pine nuts were the thing Eco would work for.

I'm not sure I can really explain how clicker training helps, but I'll try.
  • It boosts their confidence.
  • They learn that good things come from our hands/us.
  • It builds a bond between bird and trainer.
  • It engages their mind.

The best thing is you can work on teaching any behaviors and it will do these things. So while teaching spin might not seem like it would help a biting bird, like Eco is, it did because it improved our relationship.

Have you been to the clicker training forum on AA?- Clicker Training Classroom - Avian Avenue Bird Forum

greymatron

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Nicole
I've been thinking about this, too! I'm trying to find a treat Arne will work for with training..So far I'm just asking him if he wants to step up and majority of time he goes 'run away!' lol...I can't wait to read the clicker training classroom...I can't believe I haven't seen this yet.

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Pine nuts were the thing Eco would work for.

I'm not sure I can really explain how clicker training helps, but I'll try.
  • It boosts their confidence.
  • They learn that good things come from our hands/us.
  • It builds a bond between bird and trainer.
  • It engages their mind.

The best thing is you can work on teaching any behaviors and it will do these things. So while teaching spin might not seem like it would help a biting bird, like Eco is, it did because it improved our relationship.

Have you been to the clicker training forum on AA?- Clicker Training Classroom - Avian Avenue Bird Forum
Thanks! I had no idea the Clicker Training section existed! Checking it out now!

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
You will be amazed! You have to trust me on this one! Just the interaction, where the bird learns to work cooperatively, problem solve, negotiate and operate their own environment is VERY powerful and relationship building. There were times with Merlin, my Amazon when I would ask to to step up or something and he would put his head down or not want to, but then I would do just a little bit of targeting and he was super cooperative. It is amazing. So, the bird learns actual behaviors, but more than that, they develop a very good association with the trainer.

A couple of things. Make sure that the treats are so small that she doesn't have to use her foot to eat them, they should be really small. Nemo likes cashew bits best, but you can also try safflower seed, pieces of almonds, pieces of grape, or whatever she likes. Here is another key thing, stop when she is still into it. Don't wait until she is bored or full. As soon as she is less enthusiastic, I would stop. Sometimes it's only a few minutes and that is okay.

Not sure how well it's going to work in the livingroom with all the distractions of the other birds though. But she was fast to pick it up! Very smart. We only got to the touching the stick part with me clicking but she did it a number of times and seemed to know what I wanted her to do.
She also took treats very nicely from my fingers. I was very afraid she was going to bite me:eek: but tried not to show it.

However I couldn't find a treat she really wanted! I tried seeds, she took them and dropped them. She took an almond but it takes to long to eat so I tried giving her a smaller piece and she just dropped it. We tried dried fruits, AO treats etc. She took them from me but didn't eat them.

Tonight I will try some nutriberries broken up.

I am not sure where to go with the clicker training though. How is it going to help with her trusting me and becoming more comfortable?

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I'm just starting to do some of this too, and also am having trouble finding a treat that surpasses the urge just to explore/play.

I'll be watching for updates from you. :)

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Place out a variety of treats and see what she goes for. REmove that item from the diet and they only get that one item during training. Birds should not be starved as it doesn't help training AND most importantly it is really cruel to starve them. Many people starting training start with pieces to big. Afraid of offering a treat that is so small you might get bit holding that treat? Offer the treat on a spoon or on any long object that will hold the treat.

When training for something people train "too big! Training must be small steps and reward small success. You really do make it to the end wanted behavior. Small wins vs over and over failures....you can see which is the better way to reach a goal. :)

Regarding food. Many owners OVER FEED their pets. Obesity is really increasingly seen in pets. Look at your food. Is food ALWAYS there and EASY to get to. If so why would one want to train when everything is so easy. If the other behaviors require more enegy training then becomes a fun thing to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.