• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Started Laying Eggs

StormRyder360

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hannah
This morning i went to change my Fischers food and water before leaving for work and I noticed two eggs. They're both female. Do i just keep removing the eggs when i can? Is there anything else I can do?

There are no toys or anything that could encourage nesting.

Attachments

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
My 1 year old solo PFL laid two eggs in October, she doesn’t have nesting material or any thing that would encourage nesting behavior either. It’s just a normal thing that happens for a hen to lay eggs. I pulled the eggs on the days she laid them and tossed them. She didn’t mind at all.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
They're both female
Do you know this as fact? If you are even a smidge unsure, boil the eggs, allow to cool and replace.

As for removing eggs, if these are your birds first eggs and there is no nest, and she is not interested at all, then just remove them, don´t bother boiling the eggs, just squish them over the bin.

However, if your bird is returning to the egg, or has tried to make a nest (it might be a pretty rubbish nest the first time), then put the egg (boiled) in her nest for her and allow her to continue her clutch and then brood.

If your hen has made a nest and is tending to the egg, and then you take that away, this is when you open up to the possibility of excessive laying where your hen will try to replace the lost eggs.

Remember, even while laying and brooding, it is important to encourage your hen to get out of her cage and excersize. You can do this by using recall if she is trained, or by offering millet in various places in the room making her fly for the treat. Even just 5-10 minutes of flight and then let her rest. Don´t push her as she will tire quicker.

If your bird eats veggies, be sure to offer plenty of dark leafy greens, kale and the likes :)

Edit; to clarify, when I wrote ¨allow her to brood¨, incubation time is 22 days so after 3 weeks you want to be encouraging her to abandon the eggs if she has not done so already and don´t leave her brooding for more than 4 weeks.

Last edited:

StormRyder360

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hannah
Do you know this as fact? If you are even a smidge unsure, boil the eggs, allow to cool and replace.

As for removing eggs, if these are your birds first eggs and there is no nest, and she is not interested at all, then just remove them, don´t bother boiling the eggs, just squish them over the bin.

However, if your bird is returning to the egg, or has tried to make a nest (it might be a pretty rubbish nest the first time), then put the egg (boiled) in her nest for her and allow her to continue her clutch and then brood.

If your hen has made a nest and is tending to the egg, and then you take that away, this is when you open up to the possibility of excessive laying where your hen will try to replace the lost eggs.

Remember, even while laying and brooding, it is important to encourage your hen to get out of her cage and excersize. You can do this by using recall if she is trained, or by offering millet in various places in the room making her fly for the treat. Even just 5-10 minutes of flight and then let her rest. Don´t push her as she will tire quicker.

If your bird eats veggies, be sure to offer plenty of dark leafy greens, kale and the likes :)

Edit; to clarify, when I wrote ¨allow her to brood¨, incubation time is 22 days so after 3 weeks you want to be encouraging her to abandon the eggs if she has not done so already and don´t leave her brooding for more than 4 weeks.

Thanks i managed to get then dna tested, 100% both female. They arent tame. They've made no attempt to nest so far, im not even sure which one laid the eggs or if they both laid one. The eggs weren't being sat on or paid any attention so I removed them. Both eggs were cold to the touch.

They do eat kale... When they feel like it ha. Do I need to watch out for any bullying between them if one starts trying to get nesty? Or territorial?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Do I need to watch out for any bullying between them if one starts trying to get nesty? Or territorial?
If one bullies the other or gets aggressive, then they must be split and housed separately. A little bickering is normal.
Are these a bonded pair?
That´s great that she will eat kale :)

StormRyder360

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hannah
If one bullies the other or gets aggressive, then they must be split and housed separately. A little bickering is normal.
Are these a bonded pair?
That´s great that she will eat kale :)

They do everything together so i guess they are?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
They do everything together so i guess they are?
Doing things together, snuggling, sleeping together or close together, feeding and preening each other are all things bonded birds do.
It´s nice that they get on :)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Can you include a full photo of their cage as it is now?

Sometimes, hens wont start sitting until they have 3-4 eggs, so it's not abnormal for the first 1-3 eggs to be 'ignored'.

Sounds like their diet may still need some work. :)