• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Starling biting issues

dovemom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Haley
I’ve had my starling for about 4 months now, and while I’m used to her poking and prodding me, she has gotten a habit of trying to eat my lip. Sometimes she draws blood biting it. I don’t mind it much because I know it’s her natural instinct, but she did it to my friend and he hit her. Olive is okay, but now I need to know how to curve this behavior before she gets hurt! What’s the best way to teach her that she’s hurting me, and to quit? Or is this something that I need to get used to?
also, I think I should mention, that this is not aggressive behavior.I hand raised her and she is bonded to me. It’s just her natural foraging instincts, she sees a spot on my lip and she wants to eat it.
Pics of my beautiful baby included of course, because I love to show her off!!

Attachments

derin

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Derin
so pretty. i have never worked with a starling, but they are very intelligent so what you can do is not make a big deal about it when she bites you and put her down and walk away for a few seconds. you can also reward and praise her if she almost does, but stops herself.

Phocyn

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
I’m looking forward to your yellow beaky seasons and the two year old tantrums. I have two, mine were very different at two from each other.