• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Stargazing in parrot?

Mo Amjad

Meeting neighbors
Hello,
I got my Indian ringneck about 2 months ago and he has been pacing left and right and looks up at the same time. I took him to the vet and he just said it can cause feather plucking and to get him a friend to prevent that but that's too much noise for me he also said to keep him out his cage more which I am doing now. However, recently I found out it was symptoms of stargazing. Any info or advice please reply as soon as you see this post. Here's a video. He also stands in one spot swinging his head around. He is eating and pooping fine. He also chirps throughout the day.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Who determined that this was stargazing? It mainly looks like he is running back and forth on the perch. Hard to see most of it, though. The cage looks like it's too small for him. Better if you could get a cage that is wider than it is tall. How does he act when he is out of the cage and have you watched any videos of birds demonstrating stargazing?

Mo Amjad

Meeting neighbors
I was told by a person I was chatting with from a bird page. I read all the symptoms and he does some of them and yes i am going to get a bigger cage soon. When he's out the cage and on my bed or on top of me he doesn't do any symptoms but when he's on top of the cage on the perch he is showing symptoms. My current cage is 19L by 19W and 60 or more inches in width.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Ok is it possible to refilm that without the netting wrapped around cage. It makes it very hard to see and tell you what we think is going on.

Mo Amjad

Meeting neighbors
He's getting daily vegetables and fruits aside his seed diet I just got which is packed in vitamin B12.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Just my 2cents here, too me he looks bored, like hey I need some toys to play with? Does he have toys? What is his food like? Is he getting fresh veggies, fruit? Fresh water?
It does look like the 'bored' dance. I see some toys at the top of the cage. Is there a convenient perch he can reach them from?
OR he could be doing it because it gets your attention.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
We have a whole section on making DIY toys from simple to elaborate.
Enrichment and Foraging Park | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
Parrots are busy bodies, they need stuff to do all day every day. Forging for treats, shredding paper, playing with cardboard that is clean with no tape or ink.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I´m not quite sure why you started two new threads the same as the last one.

and to get him a friend
A friend doesn´t have to be a bird. You can be the friend.
If your bird is in the cage a lot then he needs a far bigger cage and a buddy in a cage next to him for company.

How much out of cage time does your bird get?
He looks desperate to get out.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
What is more likely?

1. A rare neurological aliment
2. Boredom

I think we must rule out boredom first. Many nice ideas here to help you get you little guy back on track.

Please let us know how he likes his new cage. Try some of the toys. IRN need lots of wood to chew.

Such a beautiful ♥ bird.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Any animal that paces does not like the enclosure because it is too small and is bored. As said by others a larger cage is needed and not later. Plus he needs enrichment in the way of toys and places he can forage for both food and other items a bird loves. Don't worry about what you perceive as star gazing unless this is a professional, avian vet diagnosis.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
my quaker is in a 28" W cage and it's small but he's out a lot.

Mo Amjad

Meeting neighbors
I´m not quite sure why you started two new threads the same as the last one.

A friend doesn´t have to be a bird. You can be the friend.
If your bird is in the cage a lot then he needs a far bigger cage and a buddy in a cage next to him for company.

How much out of cage time does your bird get?
He looks desperate to get out.
When I'm not home he's let out on top of his cage on his perch area and toys for mostly around 2-4 hours periodically throughout the day. On weekends he's out more than he's in the cage.

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
That is what's known as a stereotypic behavior. They usually start as a response to some sort of stress or deficiency in their environment. It can be seen in zoo environments and is commonly seen in pet parrots. What you'll commonly see is a parrot pacing on a perch and then they'll do a head turn or swivel once they get to the end and repeat. It's something that you may not be able to break him of, but you should try.

Training and adding more enrichment to his environment is going to be the key. You need to occupy his time more and engage that brain of his. Unfortunately simply being "out" isn't enough. Introducing foraging for him could help the situation, starting slowly and working up to more complex situations is going to be the key. Some birds will get it rapidly and some will need a slower progression. This is going to take some time and effort on your part, and is going to be a challenge since you don't know what started the behavior and it has become ingrained.

Check out Busy Beaks Academy on facebook and Good Bird Inc for foraging and training tips. Busy Beaks is run by Melody, one of the technicians for Dr. Brian Speer, she's amazing and has classes and will do consults via webcam. I can't say enough good things about what she does for her bird clients!!!