• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Stainless steel wire

Bartleby

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
So, I was excited to learn how to make my own boings and purchased 8 gauge SS bend-and-stay wire per the instructions. The thing is....6 gauge would be better. So I've got 100+ feet of wire that I can't really use. 006.JPG
I'm wondering if anyone would be interested in some (or all) of it? I can cut it to length upon request. I can also probably be convinced to do custom 1" manila boings from it if someone wanted. That would take a little time to gather all the supplies, but I have no trouble making them. This wire is fine for boings for Zon sized birds, but Rip's 750 grams is too much.

ETA: Price... $ 55 +shipping takes the whole lot. We can work out cost for smaller chunks by PM.

Last edited:

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Make other toys of it? You can never have to much SS wire at home! :D

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sign me up! 1" boing for Target! :D

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
Would this be good for toy making? I would take some off your hands for sure. Would be for my meyer's girls.

Bartleby

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I see people use it for toy making on the FB groups. I have no idea what they do with it! It's bendable with your hands very easily and holds the shape you bend it into fairly well. If you want to make a tight loop you'll need to use pliers, but it's surprisingly easy to work with.

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
8 gauge wire is a good size for boings, although depends on the size bird you are putting on it. 8 & 6 gauge wires are hard to work with and to make bends at ends requires two pairs of pliers generally especially if making smaller type bend/loop. What gauge is the wire in your image? Is that 8 gauge as it sure does not look like 8 ga.

Bartleby

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Yep, 8 gauge. I agree that it is fine for boings for the medium size birds, but it does not give the same spring for the larger birds. I have a store bought 1.25" sisal rope boing and I compared the two wires. It looks like the commercially made boing used 6 gauge so that's what I'm going to get instead of this one. This was ordered from McMaster-Carr.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You know, you never cease to amaze me! You are industrious, bright, and filled with energy. I just about need coffee to merely read your threads.....

I'm the poor soul that needed to watch a posted video "on the thread" to learn to make a knot (for toys to refill skewers).

Maybe you should start teaching?

Bartleby

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
You know, you never cease to amaze me! You are industrious, bright, and filled with energy. I just about need coffee to merely read your threads.....

I'm the poor soul that needed to watch a posted video "on the thread" to learn to make a knot (for toys to refill skewers).

Maybe you should start teaching?
Thank you for the very kind words! Now....are you going to buy some wire? :rofl:

I'm "busy" it's why Rip and I fit so perfectly. I think you're going to really enjoy reading about my next project. @Macawnutz can attest it's quite the lark. Coming down the pipeline in the next month or so.

Last edited:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The stiffness of the wire has more to do with the actual steel content in the metal. I use a lot of 9 gauge wire. Depending on the application I can get stiff or bendable.

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan

I use to sell the 8 & 6 gauge wires but it was a pain to deal with and coil up nicely on what ever length that was ordered for customers.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Buy wire? Why?

Remember, I'm clueless!
:hehe:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Okay so like, how hard are they to make?

Bartleby

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
You must have showed @Clueless the video. ;)
I wish. :rolleyes: Would you believe she made me promise (like solemnly swear blood-oath kind of stuff :eeeek:) that I wouldn't harass her about buying my wire before she would view the video?

I couldn't believe it; after all the things I've done for her....and that's the thanks she gives me. :extremeanger: Shameless, absolutely shameless. :shake:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I wish. :rolleyes: Would you believe she made me promise (like solemnly swear blood-oath kind of stuff :eeeek:) that I wouldn't harass her about buying my wire before she would view the video?

I couldn't believe it; after all the things I've done for her....and that's the thanks she gives me. :extremeanger: Shameless, absolutely shameless. :shake:
Hubby made me do it......and he's cute, sweet, cuddly, and let's me keep two feathered creatures in his home that would love to rip skin off of him....