• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Stainless Steel Water Bowls Cracking

zhalice

Meeting neighbors
Hi all!

A while back I ordered about five stainless steel bowls-- I originally intended on using some for her play area. However, one by one, any bowl that held water in it began to crack. (never the ones with food). Does anyone know why this happens, or have any recommendations for other bowls? This was the one I had:

petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/you-and-me-stainless-steel-coop-cup-with-clamp

Thanks!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Can you post that link again please, it’s not working.

I’ve never heard of this and the only SS bowls I’ve had that cracked were the ones Burt deliberately broke.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I had a SS bowl like this split before;
bowl.jpg
It split in the rim.
I have another of the same bowl now and had it a while and it´s fine.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Product reviews on the petco page are not flattering about the quality of these bowls! :rant: Many folks wrote complaining of cracks! I'm glad I saw your post because I'm getting ready to shop for smaller stainless bowls for my two new travel cages!

scott199

Walking the driveway
im in the Uk, so cant say for sure they are the same but ive had numerous stainless bowls crack, all mine have been when ive put them in a dishwasher.

im guessing its from the cheap materials and then the forging/folding process on such thin SS

clarousel

Rollerblading along the road
I was reading this thinking "how interesting!" because I never knew SS bowls could crack.

Just got home and was taking the water bowl out. I've been wondering the past few days why it's been such a squeeze getting it out... it's cracked! :shifty:

scott199

Walking the driveway
I was reading this thinking "how interesting!" because I never knew SS bowls could crack.

Just got home and was taking the water bowl out. I've been wondering the past few days why it's been such a squeeze getting it out... it's cracked! :shifty:
yeah, if its the same as mine they get a little crack in the rim.

scott199

Walking the driveway
Maybe they should come with a sign not dishwasher washable ;)

I don't dishwasher wash them and have never had any problems.
lol, i don't anymore, but i think they were like £2 or something, so im good with almost replacing to save the washing up as im just that lazy :D

scott199

Walking the driveway
Mine is a vertical crack down the side. Wonder why it's cracked! The other one I have is still okay ugh.
i would think these are heat forged/presssed, so i expect an imperfection in the material and the stress of pressing in the factory will just give it a hairline crack that will go over time.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Mine were vertical cracks also. Can't remember the brand

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Wow! Now I am wondering if I have just been really lucky or if the ones I buy have been made somewhere different to the ones that seem to be prone to cracking. None of mine have cracked except the one Burt broke.... I have some cheaper ones and some that cost a few dollars more and are a tiny bit heavier- they all go through the dishwasher though (like more often than being handwashed) and some of them I have had literally for years and years (they were for my ferrets).

Matto

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
That's crazy, I've never had the bowls crack. I have had the rings break or rust occasionally. Then again I use a different brand.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
My kings cages bowls from 2019 cracked within weeks. They replaced them with really heavy duty same size 10 oz bowls from old stock. New ones cost the same but thin cheap and flimsy!

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I have seen some bowl holders made for outdoor aviaries that take one of the smaller Bain Marie dishes. I would love to know if they make an even smaller version for indoor cages as the Bain Marie dishes are not overly expensive, can be bought from many places, are very hardy and well made and are definitely a good quality SS.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I think the ones I had that split were King's also.